Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ds2 (turned 2 in July) wants to nurse nonstop during the day. If he's bored, hungry, thirsty, tired, upset, hurt - whatever. He wants to just hang out on the boob all day too. If I let him, he will just sit and nurse and nurse and nurse and nurse . . . I usually have to be the one to end the nursing session because I just can't take it anymore.

So he'll come over and want to nurse. Fine. We nurse for 10 minutes or so. He gets up and toddles off. Then 5 minutes later he wants to nurse again. I tell him we're not going to nurse, ask if he's hungry, thirsty, wants a hug, etc. He just flips out. He's screaming and trying to pull my shirt up and climbing all over me. It's really getting old.

How can I put an end to these? I don't want to have to wean completely, but I am just so done with the constant demands for nursing. (Also, he isn't really talking yet, so that affects how much we can communicate about what he wants.) There needs to be some limits around nursing, but I don't know how to do this.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I am currently trying to set some limits. I have a nb and a 2 1/2 yo..... and it's getting exhausting....

We limit nursing times now to morning, before nap and before night night. She's getting upset in the evenings but she nightweaned at 1 1/2.....

I find that mostly she wants to nurse when she's bored.....

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
My ds did this for a while too. I found that if I wasn't sitting down in the chair where we nurse (or in front of the computer), that he didn't try to nurse as often. I found that if I stayed up and busy he didn't ask to nurse every five minutes, but as soon as I sat down he was climbing in my lap.
Also being out of the house really helped for us. We would spend most of the morning out of the house and come home around nap time.

Signing really helped with our communication issues.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
At around 2 I started setting some limits with nursing. Not all the time, but really, I needed some limits.

What worked best for us was dd would ask to nurse. I would say she could have "me-me for 10". That meant that she could nurse while I counted to 10. Early on I realized that, for her, having both sides was a BIG deal! So, she would bargin for "me-me 10, side 10". That worked/s most of the time. Now that she's a little older, we make a game out of her picking the number. Sometimes it's "me-me 7" or "me-me 12".

It is not a cure-all. There are times she latches on and covers my mouth in protest as I count. Many times I let it go and respect her need to nurse, especially now that these times are fewer and fewer.

Hope this is helpful, and good luck to you!

·
Registered
11,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
There are times she latches on and covers my mouth in protest as I count.
That totally cracks me up. Ds2 will put out his hand like a traffic cop and shout NO! if I try to tell him something he doesn't want to hear.

Definitely when I sit down to the computer he wants to nurse. He knows that I will often let him because he can nurse while I surf. I had to set the limit of no nursing while I was on the phone, cuz as soon as the phone would ring he would insist on nursing. That took awhile but it seems to be sinking in. I like the idea of counting, and may give it a try.

But even when I'm not sitting down he'll take my hand and lead me over to one of the several places we often nurse. And then proceeds to throw a fit when I try to explain that we're not nursing cuz we just nursed 10 minutes ago!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
My son is finally asking for nursing less and less. That may be because I am pregnant and milk supply is low? Sometimes we will go all day without nursing.

I am definitely ready for less nursing time. I feel your frustration and can relate!

·
Registered
622 Posts
I went through this with my DS, too. At your sons age, it's ok to say no - don't feel bad about it. He may throw a tantrum, but I think that's a normal response to not getting what he wants. We had to work through a lot of tantrums...... lots of fun!

Melanie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts