Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, technically Lily is my cat. I got her at a flea market eleven years ago, brought her home without telling my mom
Lily is a very skittish, sensitive kitty who lost both of the cats she grew up with and was used to. Rosie was like her sister and she died in 2004 of feline leukemia. Then a few months later my first cat, Aleah, died of old age. Lily got really depressed after this. My mom missed the other two, and adopted a 20lb Maine-**** mix named Tucker from a local shelter. He's a gentle giant, but Lily is terrified of him. Its been three years and she still hates him. My mom also adopted a turkish angora from a patient she cares for at work. Maya is a nice cat, but aloof and doesn't have anything to do with anyone but my mom. Here's where it got bad. My mom got Tucker's long and hard to manage fur cut last week. He looks beautiful and feels much better. When my mom brought him home from the groomer, Lily AND Maya did not recognize him and would not go near him. Maya finally figured out who he was, but Lily is having a breakdown and my mom told me the other day she stopped using the litter box. Three years is long enough. Lily isn't going to feel any differently about Tucker, and she is 11 years old. I think its time for her to be an only cat. She is a quiet, pleasant cat, declawed, very low maintenance. I have an 11 month old and I'm gonna have a newborn any day now. While cleaning a litter box isn't really something I want to add to my list of daily chores, I would do it for Lily. DH is gonna be hard to convince, even though Lily can't tear up furniture and she's quiet because litter, cat food, vet bills, are all extra expenses that we really don't need right now. Lily would not be able to live with strangers. She has to live with people she knows, and I'm the only one she knows well enough because I raised her as a kitten, so adopting her out to anyone is out of the question. My mom's already mentioned having her put down, but that is not necessary and not fair to Lily either. *sigh* What should I do?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Awwww...I know how you feel. I had a cat that I gave to my mom and step-father after I moved back home then out again. THey couldnt taek care of the cat anymore (Very aloof, shedded like crazy, litter box, etc) and they said if I didnt take him they were going to have to put him down

Thankfully my s-fathers mother took him, she lives in a nursing home and they oked it. They were perfect for each other!!

Kitty had to be put to sleep last year as he had developed tumors all over his body
He was 15 though!

I think you will find it would be less of an adjustment and your dh would prob not even notice the cat! (Although my dh was NOT happy when my parents returned my dog to us after 5 years, now Abby-dog LOVES dh and he snuggles with her too) hehe

It may work out!!

Just wear rubber gloves when you change the litterbox and you should be ok!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts