Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>So I called my midwife at 8:30 this morning because of the for the last couple of days I've been having sharp stabby pains in my right side. I had a UTI before Christmas (my first one in over a decade) and the pains were similar, only higher up last time - so I wanted to touch base with her before the long weekend. She wasn't in yet but the receptionist said she'd call. She said it might take a couple hours cause she had a bunch of patients. Ok, no big deal. They close at 1pm today though. So I called at 1 because I still hadn't heard back. I was told she was still in with patients and she would definitely call me. Only now it's 2:30 and I'm still in pain. And I'm going to be furious if I don't hear back and end up at Urgent Care or something equally ridiculous. Because now, she closed an hour and a half ago - so it's not like she's going to bring me in. So, what? She's just going to blindly prescribe me antibiotics and call it over to the pharmacy, or I'm going to have to wait until Tuesday? And I sort of want to switch midwives (my sister is seeing the same one and she's had a couple of issues that have had me scratching my head) but the only other midwife that is "highly recommended" around here, my friend saw and had a REALLY bad experience with (and also ended up getting induced BEFORE her due date). This just makes me want to call the homebirth midwives in Ithaca even more. I'm really annoyed.</p>
<p>Plus, if it turns out that I didn't kick the original UTI - that means I've had this one since before christmas and it HURTS - what kind of damage could be going on?</p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<p>ok, I just re-read that and it sounded much more cohesive when I was typing it ;)     I understand I'm not her only patient. And I'm not normally whiny or needy when it comes to doctors, but I'm pretty upset I haven't gotten a phone call back. </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<p>well she did finally call (it's after 3pm here) she's going to call me in an antibiotic. I'm still not totally pleased with that, but at least I did get a phone call back :/</p>

·
Registered
79 Posts
<p>There is a chance the UTI didn't go away, and you could become asymptomatic. It happened to me at 18-20 something weeks...I had a UTI for a few weeks...or more than a month. If you are super worried and have cramping and it hurts really bad, I would just got to urgent care, or the ER and not wait until Tues. I had to finally take antibiotics to get rid of mine...and I never take antibiotics. Well, not to scare you, but that is what happened to me.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Sorry your midwife did not call you back. How far is the homebirth practice? my mw's are 30 min away, which is not very far.</p>

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<p>thanks :) She did finally call back and call in a presription for me. The homebirth midwives are about an hour away, which isn't too bad. I've been going back and forth on setting up a consultation with them and I think I might now. </p>

·
Registered
708 Posts
<p>This is my first babe...so I have no prior experience to tell you about.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>However, if you can swing the hour drive, I don't think it would be a bad idea to at least meet with the other midwives.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I've only had to contact my MW (homebirth, no office) twice, and both times she's responded to me within a few hours.  However, I also have home AND cell numbers...so if she's actually NEAR the phone...SHE picks it up and talks.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Mrs B</p>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts