Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dear, dear friend whom I have known for over 10 years, is having her labor induced tomorrow. NO matter what I tell this girl, it doesn't matter. She does NOT want to be induced, but her doctor fed her a bunch of bull, and now, it is "necessary" in her mind. Why? An ultrasound places the baby's weight at 10 lbs. Apparently, the ultrasound also says that "the baby has no more room to grow" And "sometimes the uterus gets so big, it can't contract" Oh, and did I mention, she is only 37.5 weeks?? This woman, who was once strong and willing to stand up for herself, has now been fear mongered into this crap.

I have never said to her, "you should UC" or anything like that, I know it is not for everyone. But how can people make choices like this based on a machine? By what a stranger says?

I am so, so worried. She isnt dilated at all. While I am trying to be positive, and just be there for her, I just know how this will end.

I am SO thankful, that I trust my body. I am thankful that I listen to my inner knowledge.

and a question, how could our bodies make a baby that is too big to come out?

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
It'd be nice if in cases like your friend's people could ask for references. "The uterus gets so it can't contract, you say, do you have any patients with the same problem with whom I could speak?"

I think you're probably right about the eventual outcome.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Poor girl. I was induced at 37 weeks, was dilated prior to induction, and ended up having my 8 lb baby by c-section.

A friend of mine delivered an 11 lb baby at home the same day.

Doctors suck.

·
Registered
718 Posts
It's so frustrating to have so much knowledge at your fingertips and watch friends or relatives sit by and let others make decisions for them based on fears. Pregnancy is not an illness...the majority don't need interventions...why why why don't people understand this? Going out in public lately has gotten bad for me---the negative energy makes me want to explode...I wish people could look at pregnancy in a positive manner and realize that we are capable of producing how ever many, whatever size and in whatever state baby that has been growing in us... and i agree with you.... our bodies don't make babies that are too big to come out. what a crock!

sorry to vent...early morning preg. harmones are apparently flaring their ugly head!

·
Registered
12,213 Posts
I'm sorry, I know it's very hard to stand by and watch. I wish I had had a knowledgable friend when I had my son because the sOB did scare me into an induction at 36 weeks due to supposed PROM. That was not something I researched so I felt I was at their mercy, and ya know infection dead baby blah blah blah. I don't know what my point is but your friend is lucky to have you wether she takes your advice or not. I wish I hadn't had to learn the hard way , hindsight is such a b.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I feel your frustration! My "closest" friend is preg right now...due on Christmas...she is already talking about asking her OB to induce JUST SO THAT THE BABY ISN'T BORN ON CHRISTMAS!!!!.. I get so pissed talking to her about it. I think the only thing we can do is inform them, then let them make their own decisions...it's so hard, I know, but sometimes that's all you can do

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Ugh
I had a friend who measured 42 weeks at 37 weeks, so they induced. Baby turned out to be a whopping... 6 lbs 8 oz.
And yes, the induction ended in C-section, as it often does when the body hasn't even started getting ready for labor. *sigh* In her case, it actually ended up being a good mistake, because her doctors had totally missed obvious signs of pre-eclampsia, and she was back in the hospital a week later with heart problems and they discovered the pre-e. Hmmm... high-for-her blood pressure, excessive swelling, and I guess they hadn't checked for protein in her urine, because in the hospital, they finally checked and found it!
: And because of all that, she ended up not being able to breastfeed due to some meds temporarily banning her from bf'ing (heart meds that are *really* bad for baby), and then bp meds that lowered her milk supply once she was off the heart meds... And she really wanted to bf too.

I hope your friend's outcome will be much better! It's hard to talk to friends about stuff like this. I have another friend who asked to be induced at 40w2d. She was just miserable, and had been having prodromal labor for 4 weeks, was dilated to 3cm and 80% effaced, etc. Thankfully, her induction went well, and she had an otherwise drug-free vaginal birth. Her body was at least ready for the induction, and her baby was mature enough to be ok on the outside. But inducing at 37 weeks... ugh. I'm sorry you have to sit back and watch the cascade of interventions. All you can do is provide information. It's up to your friend to act on it if she chooses. And u/s is SOOOOOO inaccurate at predicting weight at that stage. It's so annoying that OBs still rely on it as a real indicator of weight!
:

·
Banned
3,042 Posts
Quote:
An ultrasound places the baby's weight at 10 lbs. Apparently, the ultrasound also says that "the baby has no more room to grow" And "sometimes the uterus gets so big, it can't contract" Oh, and did I mention, she is only 37.5 weeks??
If the uterus runs out of room for a 10 lb baby @37 week, how did I make it to 37 weeks with twins that had a combined birthweight of over 14 lbs? That doctor is full of sh!t.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2Sweeties1Angel
If the uterus runs out of room for a 10 lb baby @37 week, how did I make it to 37 weeks with twins that had a combined birthweight of over 14 lbs?
And imagine the women who have 5,6,7,8 babies in their uterus!!!! I saw a show about a woman who had quintuplets, and they showed pictures of her belly shortly before she delivered. I think she was around 28-29 weeks or something? Anyway, it was WAAAAAAAAAY bigger than any singleton belly ever gets. She wasn't even full term and it was just huge. Her uterus obviously didn't run out of room when it got to the point of being able to house a 10 lb singleton.

·
Registered
141 Posts
This is so sad, I'm sorry your friend has been scared into this (most likely) unnecessary procedure.
Ultrasounds can be SO wrong, too, as we all know. They estimated my baby's weight at almost 8 lbs, and she was born 6 and 13 oz.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, I knew this was going to happen, after 2 days of induction, she was only at 2cm. They did another ultrasound and it measured baby at 11 lbs 14 oz, and they said his head was " off the charts" So they told her, "his head could hemmorrage if you push" and they did a c-section.

wanna know how big this "huge" baby was??? 8lbs 3oz. smaller than her first 2, which we 8, 8 and 9lbs. and his head, is a very average size.

she is so frustrated. and I am having a hard time NOT saying what is on my mind.

Everyone is saying "so glad everyone is ok!" like it was some life threatening situation. and pooh-poohing her feelings.

OH! and get this. Her and her DH had already decided that they were done having kids after this one. so they asked to have her tubes tied during the c-section. and they said they couldnt. because it is a catholic hospital!!!!!!!!

I am so thankful that I trust my body, and my creator, and NOT some machine, or experts. this whole thing only strengthens my desire to UC.

thanks for listening.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I think those who make the US machines as in cahoots with the hospitals...Just kidding! However, every US I have ever seen, or client had..always placed baby larger than birth weight.

I'm sorry to say, but this kind of bullying and fear producing care happens everyday thousands of times. Women need a birth revolt!

Ultimately, however..is that this birth and experience is about HER...it may make you sad, or piss you off..but this birth journey is her and so are the lessons she will learn.

Also...if not planning on a UC or homebirth, one needs to really research their care provider. Investigate their C-rates, epis rates and VBAC rates.

Mary

·
Registered
12,213 Posts
I am so sad for her and so pissed yet another woman was lied to and feared into a c-section (and the induction to begin with).

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I'm glad she was in a Catholic hospital. I'd hate to hear that story end like this: She was so upset that she had her tubes tied during the c/s and two years later realized she really wasn't done having children, she was just having a rough time at that moment.
I'm sorry her story ended up like sooo many others just like it. I hope she can heal physically and emotionally from this mess. Ih ope you will be a good and wonderful supportive person, help her breastfeed and rest and whatever else you can do. It's really all we, as those friends, can do. Happy Babymoon to her and her HUGE baby too

Namaste, Tara

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yeah I totally know what you mean. After being on the mainstream forums I'am so glad I'am enlightned and having a UP/UC for all of my children.

·
Premium Member
15,078 Posts
My SIL went through a similar experience. She has now had 3 C/S, and none of them were necessary. Yet, I have to stand back and just bite my tounge and just be happy that she has healty babies! UGGGG!

It is just so hard to NOT say something when you KNOW that the doctors are the cause of all their pain and trauma!

·
Banned
11,594 Posts
is this another lesson for us though--

in quaker terms, shouldn't we "speak truth to power?" or, like Dr. Phil "say it like it is."

one of my teachers, swami radha, asks this question:

is it more appropriate for a yoga teacher to simply allow students to maintain unhealthy habits because of her fear of immediate rejection or anger on the part of the student, or is it her responsibility to point out these negative patterns and behavoirs to aid the individual in liberation? which is more compassionate?

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I know what you mean about those stupid ultrasounds...most of the women I have known had the same problem with the US showing a huge baby or something. Ironically, I always have the opposite problem. The docs are constantly trying to move my due date later because according to the ultrasound, they are 3,4,5 weeks behind my gestation. With my first I had an ultrasound the day before they induced and they said he was barely 7 pounds. I had him the next day-all 8 pounds 6 ounces of him. I'm sorry, he just did NOT gain that much weight in a day, lol. All of my other babies they have said were too small too-I had a 8lb 12oz girl 3 days before my due date, a 6lb 14oz girl (3 weeks early), and a 7lb 9oz girl (2 weeks early). Obviously they werent huge, but they werent the tiny little things they thought they were.
I'm sorry your friend fell for the hype and ended up with a section. I'm surprised she didnt question it since she has two others-didnt she notice that she wasnt bigger?? The world would be so much better if these damn doctors didnt feel the need to get babies out on their schedules....

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I got really lucky with babe #2. I had an ob who was fear mongering enough that she scared me into an induction at 37 weeks because of a previous dystocia. But she was at least a good enough doc to manage my pit lightly, to do an amnio prior to the induction to be sure we wouldn't have a NICU baby, and to NOT break my water until I was rounding out on 5cm. I was also already a 2 and 60% before we decided to do it. Still not heaven, but MUCH better handled than my first induction (where I very narrowly escaped a section).

Hannah was born at 37 weeks exactly weighing 7 pounds 4 ounces and without a moment of stickage. Noah was born 17 months later weighing 9 pounds even at 39 weeks 4 days and didn't get stuck either.
:

The good thing? Hannah's birth and the scare tactics used are what drove me to find home birth with the next baby. Sometimes women have to learn it the hard way. I am so sorry that this happened to your friend. Until we have a massive shift somewhere in this current system, these stories are going to remain the "norm" and ours the "abnormal".

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
UGH!!!

Now she has a spinal headache. And had to have a procedure to fix it.

And her baby "lost too much weight" so they "had" to give him formula.
:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts