Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just went through a weekend of pure hell. My dh's mother and grandmother came up from New Orleans to meet their (6 month old) grandson. Well, we all met at dh's paternal grandmother's house and Kaeleb also met his paternal grandpa (dh's mother's x husband). I know this sounds confusing and I am sorry. Anyway, they continuously tried shoving things down Kaeleb's throat (namely sugar)and that came to a head on Sunday, but back to Saturday! I managed to keep my son from staying in a sugar induced high all day. Well, then he fell asleep in my arms (another no-no according to the inlaws and I am raising what will surely be a monster). I go and lay Kaeleb down in the bed, piled pillows around him and went outside to smoke. Well, this is when paternal Grandpa finally arrives. He says hello to dh (whom he's seen maybe 5 times his entire life) and goes into the house. Well I had checked on Kaeleb twice in this period and my boy was sleeping like a champ. There is a small daycare like crib also set up in this room that I didn't even put Kaeleb in, explaining to everyone that he sleeps in an actual bed, ususally with us (another black flag for the grandma's and my raising a monster) and that he won't sleep in a crib at all. I almost said caige, but didn't (and meant no offense to those who do crib sleep, this is simply the way a crib looks to me). Well, I go back outside and pass grandpa up as he is going inside. Well, no more than 10 min later I hear Kaeleb screaming. I run inside and maternal great grand ma is holding his trying to calm him down. Well I take my baby and ask what happened. Grandpa tells me that he walked into the back bedroom and LOOKED INTO THE CRIB at my son and that is when Kaeleb began crying. So, I started asking how he got in the crib and the maternal great grandmother told me that there was no reason for me to keep checking on him like that, so, she went in and woke him up and put him in the crib awake...SO THAT HE COULD CRY IT OUT AND LEARN TO SLEEP IN A CRIB. I was livid. I do mean LIVID. I told her that I didn't want Kaeleb to learn to sleep in a crib, that he did fine in our bed. Then I went to hubby and told him. He said "kinda keep it inside, they are leaving tomorrow and won't be back for a while" They live in New Orleans. Well, then, yesterday we went out to eat and at dessert I got a brownie with vanilla icecream and strawberry syrup. Well I am having a difficult time trying to make dh realize that Kaeleb should not have any sugar...at all. He keeps wanting Kaeleb to taste things. Don't get me wrong, all he does is put a very little bit on the tip f his finger and let's Kaeleb taste, but see, I don't even want Kaeleb to have that much sugar. Well that same CIO grandma takes a spoon full of ice cream and strawberry syrup and heads right for my son's mother. I say, politely twice, Joy, please don't, Joy please don't. Well, right before she got to his mouth I actually had to place my hand over my baby's mouth so she wouldn't put that crap in there. Know what she said afterwards...."You know me, don't tell me I can't do something, cause that's what I will do" OMG...these people were deliberately going against my wishes WITH ME RIGHT THERE. Who the hell do they think they are?

Sorry for the vent...thanks for reading if you made it this far!

·
Registered
3,735 Posts

Who do they think they are???? Okay, Scotts parents said we NEEDED a crib- so we let them give us a second hand one they had and it has never had MY baby in it - currently it has clothes! When my niece comes up here with the IL's she sleeps in there and they are all about letting her cry it out! It is very very sad. I keep thinking about all the effects in her brain- such a sad thing.
This is NUMBER 1 reason they dont watch Rainey. They have not said anything about me nursing her to sleep but they do say stuff when I say I am nursing her after a year old. I understand- and I said the other night to my mom that Rainey was all over the place the night before and she said " time for her to have her own bed"- OMG!!! She sleeps with US- period! But, Scott says it is just the old unattached way of parenting and the only way to not have that view anymore is to teach our kids that it is done in an AP style-

Sorry it was so hard! Glad it is over...

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
This is exactly the same thing I dealt with at first with my in laws. They have gotten a lot better now and are respecting my parenting style, but sometimes they still say or do stupid things. For instance, this weekend I went up to in laws for an overnight while my hubby went out to act like a college kid with his buddys for his fantasy football draft. My FIL wanted to take her to the park, and I thought he'd just walk her like he had before down to the park down the street, but no, after they had left, I noticed FIL's truck was gone, and I asked my MIL "Did he take her in his truck???" Yes he had............
!!!!!!!! I couldn't believe it! He had just drove her without a carseat in his truck!!!! SHE'S THREE AND NOT EVEN 30 POUNDS!!!!!!!!!! Arg....

Sorry, I'll stop with my thread take over...in laws can be aggravating at best at times. My MIL says "All I had when my kids were little was my arm, no carseats."
:

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm with you! I haven't been able to keep the sugar fairies away, mostly because the older STEPbrothers spend all their allowance money on candy and chips. I have had to threaten them that if Alex found the candy, they would find it in the trash... but after years of this my babies have both become sugar junkies... but not too bad. I have sneaky health items that they think are 'treats' but are actually healthy. I dole out a few mm's every now and then...

But the sleeping breastfeeding thing just goes over the older generations head. They are horrified. My own mother, who breastfed and slept with us in a twin bed that was in our baby room at need, still thinks I'm crazy for breastfeeding so long and co sleeping all the time. She, however, would love to cuddle with them all night long... So I might let her keep them one night. That would be the first time I ever let my babies away from me overnight.

DH's mom just thinks I'm not right in the head. She really has no understanding of child centered thinking. She knows that it's different today, but she just think in terms of "give that baby a dab of perigoric." (A laudanum opiate thing?)

The end result of all this is that NO relatives have ever yet watched my babies. This is funny, because they go to daycare all the time, and the daycare is much more respectful of attachment parenting practices than these relatives are. When we do visit, no one has tried to actually force something on one of the babies. We just get the comments... "how long are you gonna nurse that baby?" "she's not even a baby anymore?" "you need to get those girls out of your bed!" "well in my day..." Funny how they never ask me about why we do it. They just assume the should tell us how it's supposed to be. I tell myself, they had their chance, and this is mine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.