Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Then I brought him back 10 minutes later of course. My 11 week old has progressivley gotten more wakeful at night over the past 2 weeks. He had begun to sleep a 5 hour stretch (bliss!) and then all of a sudden he's back to waking every 2 hours. But, last night was worse. He went to sleep at 9, got up at 11:30, 1:30, 2:30, and 3:30. At that point I was at a loss. He wasn't crying or fussing at all. He was kicking and waving his arms around. I LOVE when he does that at 3PM, but 3AM is a different story. He sleeps with us but in his arm's reach co-sleeper. The past couple of weeks he has been waking and lifting his feet in the air, grunting, and dropping them hard onto his matress. It shakes the big bed! I'm trying my best to keep things as comfy for dh as I can. He is working outside the home at a new job so that I can be home with the boy. Anyway, I got up finally around 4 and put him in his crib in the room next to our out of desperation. I lay there and listened as he goofed around. Then I went and got him and nursed him to sleep. Usually when he wakes at night I nurse him and he falls asleep and I place him back in his side car and he's out. But, now I'm wondering if he isn't fussy is it advisable to nurse him just because. Sometimes I pick him up and he passes out right away.
Anyway, I don't know what his deal is. He's become much stronger just this week it seems. Maybe he just wants to play? It also seems like he has gas with his grunting and leg dropping. He's fussier during the day and he is a super fart machine sometimes! I also wondered if he is teething since he grabs his ears and shakes his head also during the night.

I wish he could talk! If I knew the source of his night wakings I could help him! Anyone speak baby?

Amy

·
Registered
672 Posts
This going to sound weird, but at about 3 months dd started to grunt at night...sometimes all night. My friend said they're learning to poop. It lasted about 2-3 weeks and then it stopped. The night poopings also stopped (for the most part) at that point too. The leg kicking used to drive me crazy at night too. I think that's partly learning to use their legs and partly the trying to poop lying down.

Good luck and hang in there!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I agree. I think they are just learning to use their legs.
My DS (13 months) still does this sometimes when he wakes during the night.
WRT to the ear-grabbing and head-shaking, DS does this stuff (and more) when he's tired -- and even more when he's trying to get himself to sleep. I think it's common. If he's only doing it when he's tired, it's probably the same thing (but if he's grabbing ears during day, I think that's a sign of ear infection).

Anyway, not much help to offer -- just letting you know it all sounds very normal and common to me.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoebe
I also wondered if he is teething since he grabs his ears and shakes his head also during the night.

I wish he could talk! If I knew the source of his night wakings I could help him! Anyone speak baby?

Amy

My almost three year old still does this when she is tired. But know one hand goes to the ear, the other to the mouth....I always thought there was something with her ears, but I guess it is just a normal way to go to sleep?

Caroline

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
grabbing the ears...hmmm...I bet y'all are right about him being tired. It's only when he wakes at night that he does this and just like Caroline, it's one hand on the ear pushing his head toward the other hand so he can gum it!

So, I guess this isn't a problem that baby has...it's a problem dh and I have.

This will pass, this will pass, this will pass.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts