Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel so aweful, I backed over our little kitty.
Her name was Peach, and we've only had her for 3 weeks. DD named her.
She was the sweetest kitten you'd ever hope to find, so lovey and mellow. She was black, with darker black stripes. She liked to play and would sleep all night beside us or the kids...sometimes she'd crawl under the covers and snuggle up by one of our legs.

I can't believe I did that. She's an inside kitty, and was just out while we were for a few minutes. I forgot that she was outside, and it never even crossed my mind to check around the car before I backed out of the driveway.

I'm just thankful that DD was with her Gramma; DS is still rear-facing, so I dont' think he saw anything...I just pulled around the block and started sobbing
I feel so terrible

DH was so sweet, he came right home and took care of everything, he said she would have died instantly. That makes me feel a little bit better...for her sake

I can't think about it or I start crying again. I haven't told the kids yet, that's gonna suck.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts

Oh mama, I'm so sorry.
You must feel awful.

When I was 10 my mother ran over a cat on the way to my piano lesson. She had to go ring the doorbell of the nearest house to see if they were the owners (they were) - she was crying, I felt such intense sympathy for my mother at that moment.

It was not your fault. Cats have a way of being where they're not supposed to be, sometimes. A girl I knew in high school closed her family's cat in the garage door.

Be kind to yourself.
Peach

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
My mom did this to one of my cats when I was about twelve. I was home sick from school and she was pulling into the garage. The cat had this thing about being at your feet so she was trying to be at my moms feet when she got out of the car. My mom felt just horrible about it and I have to admit I did not make it easier on her.
I am so sorry for you, I also hit a cat on a highway once. It was unavoidable, oncoming car and this little cat ran right in front of me as I was going 50 mph.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I'm so sorry! I know exactly what you're feeling. I accidentally killed my beloved cat in a freak Lazy-boy recliner almost two years ago. It was beyond awful. I know in my heart that it was an accident, but I still go over and over it in my head.

Just remember your kitty knew you loved her and you can rest knowing that she died instantly.

Hugs,

--Olive

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the support

The kids took it ok, DS didn't really get it...he wanted me to go get her, and when I told him I couldn't he said "can we get another kitty Mama?".
DD took it a little harder and cried for about 5 minutes, then seemed fine; but she's still dealing with it (drawing pictures of the kitty, pretending to be the kitty (re-enacting things we did with her, etc)). It's sad, but we're getting over it.

It was really traumatic for me, I think moreso because I'm pg, have the uber-maternal hormones going on, and was really attached to her.

Anyway, thanks again, it really helped to read everyone's messages that night

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
Oh man!!!! I'm so so so so so sorry! I can only imagine how you must be feeling....I sure would feel lower than dirt! I'm sooo sorry this happened!
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}]]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.