Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice. Let me preface this by saying that I do have an appointment with my GYN in 3 weeks. I know that the internet isn't necessarily the place to get real medical advice, but I thought you ladies might have some insight.

I had my first dd in Dec 1997. So, I didn't have a period from March 1997, I got pregnant w/ dd#2 without menstruating and then didn't get my period back until....well, I'm not sure I have it back yet. I have had bleeding. I'd almost call it hemorrhaging at times. A few months ago, gosh maybe even a year ago, I started bleeding and it just kept going. I bled for a few weeks, so I went to see my doctor. She said that since I had been without regular menstruation for so long (over 5 years at that point) that my uterine lining had built up really thick and that was the reason I was bleeding so much. I declined hormones to regulate the bleeding and told her I'd rather deal with it than take birth control. (I don't like how I feel on it.)

Then it got worse. I would wake up realizing I was leaking out of my pad and I would find that I had filled a super overnight pad to capacity. It would be full from end to end. Sometimes I would pass very large clots. This continued for a few nights and then I called my doctor again. She put me on a very aggressive hormone treatment and the bleeding stopped within a couple of days.

Well, in the months since then, I have not had much bleeding at all. In fact, I've had a little minor spotting every now and then, but nothing that seems like a normal period. I started bleeding at the end of September, 4 weeks ago now, and I'm still bleeding. Right now the bleeding is a lot like a heavy period, I haven't had the huge amounts of blood I had before, but I'm still passing good sized clots. I'd say they range from very small to up to 1 to 1.5 inches in diameter.

I am still breastfeeding, but only about once or twice a week. I am considered morbidly obese, and I know that can affect menstruation as well.

Overall, I feel great. I'm not cramping, or overly tired. I don't feel like there is anything wrong with my body until I go to the bathroom and remember that I'm still bleeding!

I don't want to have to be dependent on hormones, so I'm trying to avoid that if I can. Do any of you have any insights as to why this might be happening? I feel like it's a little complicated due to extended nursing and I don't feel like the average medical person is prepared to handle EN related problems.

TIA for any advice.

Melissa

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
bumping this...wondering how you are doing. I am currently searching the boards for any info on this type of topic. I have been bleeding for the majority of the past 5 months. I have only had about 3-4 weeks total w/o blood. Desperately seeking info if anyone has any.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Uterine fibroids could also cause this type of bleeding as well. Chinese Herbal Medicine with or without the acupuncture is pretty wonderful for all types of OBGYN related conditions. If interested I would seek an experienced practitioner out. I've seen it work for many women (including myself for endometriosis, staying pregnant and bad PMS).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.