Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two weeks ago Zoe was really sick with some kind of a respiratory virus. Lots of green mucous, coughing, restlessness and a fever (highest about 103 C).

Went to the walk in clinic and she got a 'script for amoxicilin. I didn't want to give it to her, but the doc said her ear drum was really inflamed.

Ten days later, the antibiotic was finished. Forty-eight hours after her last does, her fever comes back! This time it's 104 C... Back to the walk in clinic. This time she got a ten day 'script for Cefzil. She finished that the day before yesterday.

We're sitting at the table (just this minute) having lunch. Zoe looks kinda glassy eyed and pale. So I lean over and put my hand on her forehead - she's warm! Took her temperature and it's 101.3 C - not super high yet, but I'm betting it's gonna go up.

Could she possibly STILL have an ear infection? This is her very first earache ever (well, starting two weeks ago) and I have no idea what to expect. I am not giving her a third round of antibiotics, that's ridiculous.

Any advice on what I should do? She doesn't appear to be in any pain, although last night she was up and crying - and went right back to sleep. She'll usually tell me if something hurts.

I'm feeling kind of exasperated, because I don't know how to treat an earache any other way than with antibiotics.

Thanks for any suggestions.

ETA: I just gave her some Motrin for her fever, but then remembered that maybe I should let her fever run in order to fight an infection. And - should I bring her back to the doctor? If only to get her ears checked again?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Wow,well first i would get started on boosting her immune system.Echinacea tincture or Nutrition Now has a great kids line of chewable echinacea as well.For the ears i would skip the oils in case it is ruptured.Go with the Hylands earache tablets and combine it with the teething tablets.I say that because the teething tablets have the belladonna which will help MAINTAIN the fever.It keeps the fever lower but doesn't necessarily get rid of it.Around 101 is fine.If it gets to 102 go ahead and use some Motrin if she feels uncomfortable.Also kids acidopholous right now.She will end up with yeast/thrush from all the antibiotics.Start on that.If she doesn't respond within two days i can give you more specific remedies for her.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you sooooo much!!
:

I'm going to go to the health food store in the morning and pick some stuff up - of course, because it's Sunday the store is closed.

I'll come back tomorrow afternoon and update!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts