Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is common practice and that many people receive it. But my dd is 16 mo. old and this is the first time we've received their clever marketing tool: "A gift for you" -- one can of formula...just what I need! My question to you all is there anything I can do to tell the formula companies that I don't agree with this practice? I'm considering sending it back to the company with a little (okay long) note attached; I'm just wondering what other people's thoughts are...

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
This is what I do- mark it "Return to Sender BAD FOR BABIES!!!!!" all over the box. Call the formula company and tell them a) you want to be removed from their mailing list and b) you want to know where they got your confidential info. I'm pretty sure they have to tell you.
Annette

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
Good luck getting removed. There have even been women who lost their babies (miscarraige, stillbirth, etc...) who had to fight to get removed.

Anyone and everyone will sell your name (maternity clothing stores, pediatrician, OB, etc...).

I'd take it to a food bank.

I think legally if you notify them to remove it from your premises you can charge storage if they don't (of if they send you more) but I have NO idea how you would actually do that.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I've been getting a bunch as well and my DD is 15mo. I think the formula companies recycle their mailing lists because this also happened with my first daughter. Right around the time she was 13mo, I started receiving, "welcome newborn baby" packages from all of the companies. This is what I'm getting right now, too.

I just gave mine and all the coupons to my local women's shelter and some friends who ff.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
I thought I read somewhere on here that there is some kind of law that if they give you a free can they need to supply a years worth? Is that true? I thought I saw that here.

If it is I would call them on it then donate the formula to an orphanage.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I had this happen to me. Granted, they got me before 16 months...more like 4 months, I think, despite my diligent efforts not to fill out ANYTHING marketing-related during my pregnancy.

I called the company, sat through their *GAG ME* Formula ads on hold until I got to a person. I told her that I had just received a can of formula in the mail and that I planned to dump it into the toilet, as that was the best place for it. However, before I did that, I'd like to know where they got my address and why they thought my healthy, exclusively breastfed 4-month-old needed formula. She got very pissy and said something like "you could give it to someone who needs it..." I made it clear that would NOT be happening. She eventually said that my name appeared to have come from "a doctor." I asked which and she said she couldn't tell me. I said that I'd used a midwife during my pregnancy and I could only assume it was my pedi. I told her to inform her "source" that they are in violation of confidentiality laws and REMOVE MY NAME FROM HER LIST. I never got anything else from them.

Then I called the ped's office and spoke with the nurse, the office manager and the doctor, all of which assured me that they are NOT selling names to formula companies and that if my name came from their office, it was through illegal means and they would look into it.

So I don't know how or where they got my name, but the surely don't have it anymore.

BTW, I think this was enfamil.

eta: it occurred to me later that if she wanted me to give it someone who needed it, I should have asked why in the world they sent it to me in the first place as I obviously don't need it. It eventually got thrown away, as I had no desire to donate it.

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Charmie981

eta: it occurred to me later that if she wanted me to give it someone who needed it, I should have asked why in the world they sent it to me in the first place as I obviously don't need it. It eventually got thrown away, as I had no desire to donate it.
I like you!
Annette

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Cynical suggestion, hope for more, sell them on ebay, use the money to buy a nursing necklace or other bf support item (or cloth diapers), then write the formula company a nice letter thanking them for helping you continue to bf (or cd-ing) and avoid the consumerism of formula/sposies

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great suggestions! I really was going to send it back to the company with a long letter; however a pregnant friend stopped by the other day, saw it on my dining room table and grabbed it "just in case bf doesn't work out". We had an awkward ten minutes while I tried to remain supportive of her choices and faithful to my principles. She took it home with her. FYI: we found out who sold my name to the forumla company. It actually wasn't my name at all, that was what was so confusing. I kept my maiden name and my dd has my last name so it was weird that the formula came to a gross misspelling of my first name and my dh's last name. Then a couple of days ago we got a coupon from a maternity store to the same wrong name -- what had happened is my dh had bought me a nursing bra at this store while running errands one day; how they got my first name (although very misspelled) is still beyond me. I've contacted the maternity store and expressed my opinion about them selling their customers names and addresses and I've also let them know that I won't be giving them anymore business. Thanks for sharing all your stories.

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Was it Motherhood? They totally suck about selling your name.
I make a big fuss when they ask for my address about how unethical it is for them to send formula to pregnant women. My sister refuses to go in the store wih me. I only go in cause I like their sleep bras.
Annette

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucysmama
I got a case a few days ago...by the time I got home, dh had already called and chewed them out on behalf of his breastfeeding baby son.

Your DH rocks!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.