Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Baby Story. This particular episode features a girl who just said... "I am definitely choosing a c/s. I don't even want to risk a long labor. I figure it is the new millenium and the old way of giving birth just seems primitive to me. I just don't think women should have to go through that anymore."

*headdesk*

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I strongly believe that every woman who's considering a truly elective c-section should spend a day or two with a mom who'd just had one.

I visited my SIL and new niece when she was 10 days PP (section, obviously) and it was sad. She was clearly in a lot of pain, had a hard time moving around, and couldn't even pick up her baby. The baby needed to be handed to her for every nursing, etc.

For that reason alone I don't ever want a c-sec.

In contrast, I saw a friend and her daughter 3 days PP (induced vaginal) and she was bouncing around and energetic.

Clearly one of these is "primitive"

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunflwrmoonbeam View Post
I strongly believe that every woman who's considering a truly elective c-section should spend a day or two with a mom who'd just had one.

I visited my SIL and new niece when she was 10 days PP (section, obviously) and it was sad. She was clearly in a lot of pain, had a hard time moving around, and couldn't even pick up her baby. The baby needed to be handed to her for every nursing, etc.

For that reason alone I don't ever want a c-sec.

In contrast, I saw a friend and her daughter 3 days PP (induced vaginal) and she was bouncing around and energetic.

Clearly one of these is "primitive"
I agree with this to an extent... I had an emergency c/s with my son and while I would never CHOOSE that route unless there was a medical/emotional reason it was not as bad I thought it would be. I was able to care for my son as soon as we were home from the hospital, I just couldn't lug stuff up and down the 3 flights of stairs in my parents house.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I agree with all the previous comments.
I had an emergency c-section as well, and I felt horrible for at least a month. I could hardly walk, get out of bed, etc without feeling like I would rip open. Medically necessary is one thing, but I would never *choose* one!

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Bleh. I am glad we don't watch TV, i would be compelled to watch it and it would make me furious.

Seriously, I have had two c-sections. They were really ideal, as far as c-sections go... had the baby pretty much immediately in the OR, nursed in the recovery room, were never out of my sight, no complications or problems with healing. Really pretty rockin, given some women's experiences.

I have also given birth vaginally (after a very long 40 some hour labor) and would take a long labor like that over a c-section any day. I mean, I could actually walk shortly after having my vbac. And I could sit up on my own at night to nurse the baby.

I am extremely glad that c-sections are available for women who need them. And not all c-sections are horror stories. But it really baffles me that some women really look at them like they are not a big deal. Baffling.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Yeah, that baffles me when someone chooses a C/S because they think it will be easier... I guess they aren't even thinking about recovery? I've not had a C/S, but I know my friends who have had them took a while to recover. After my last birth (obviously vaginal), I was doing the baby's diaper laundry the next day. I felt that good! I could really do anything except walk a long ways (I tried feeding our goat guardian dog one day, which required a long walk to the pasture... BAD idea... had my DH feed him for a bit longer
). While some women recover quickly from C/S's, I can't imagine it being nearly as easy as the recovery I had from that vaginal birth. We're talking major abdominal surgery... that hurts for several days at least!

·
Registered
512 Posts
I think it's sad that our society views labor and giving birth as some horrible thing that we are forced to endure, not something that can be wonderful.

I've not read a single natural birth story (even hospital births) where the mom was like, "OMG, I'm never doing that again." Most women find it incredibly empowering.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I think the saddest thing about elective and non-emergency c-section is how limiting it is to future birth options. Here in CO, you literally are hard pressed to find a doc/hospital that will "let you try" for a VBAC and for many women, homebirth isn't an option, particularly after a c-section. My niece had a non-emergent c-section when she was dilated to 9 last year and she's 25. She had hoped to have lots and lots of kids, but now even that choice is limited due to the danger of repeated c-sections.

I have another friend who had an emergency c-section at 28 weeks and still hasn't emotionally recovered. She says she feels like she was ripped open and the hospital staff offered her nothing in the way of her emotional healing, they just acted like she should be grateful that here baby was healthy.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Rachaelsmommy: I agree. People seem to think a c-section is just the easy way out, and all things being equal it seems that that's so far from the truth that it's ridiculous.

Chely: I'm glad your section wasn't that bad. The idea behind my comment was to show the people who are considering truly elective c-secs (I have a friend who had a full inversion at her last birth, and if I were her I'd schedule a c-section from now on) that it really is major abdominal surgery, and that abdominal surgery sucks.

·
Registered
668 Posts
My sister said that she wouldn't wish the pain on her worst enemy. I am just hoping and praying that both of my babies are head down. My m/w will not consider a home birth with twins and my ob said that they always do a c-section when they are not both head down. I should be looking forward to my delivery but honestly I fear it..

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Shauna, not to get in your business, but twin homebirths are actually really common as are breech homebirths. Have you considered talking with other mws?

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by KJRSMR View Post
My sister said that she wouldn't wish the pain on her worst enemy. I am just hoping and praying that both of my babies are head down. My m/w will not consider a home birth with twins and my ob said that they always do a c-section when they are not both head down. I should be looking forward to my delivery but honestly I fear it..
I really hope you are able to have a vaginal delivery!! My mom birthed twins vaginally at 41.. my sister was head down and born first and my brother was transverse but turned once my sister was out. Have you interviewed other midwives? It seems like a homebirth with a non-complicated twin pregnancy shouldn't be impossible... whatever you do I hope you get the birth you want!!!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KJRSMR View Post
My mom delivered my sisters full term in 1990 and the second was breech, she said it was so easy and she actually had an easier birth with the twins than with me. I'm suprised you know you're having twins so early(I won't find out if I have twins till my 20 week us, but I think I know the answer already). Anyways if I am pregnant with twins I'm still planning my unassisted homebirth as default soi long as everything goes well till then.

·
Registered
102 Posts
That Baby Story show drives me nuts!! I'm sure that woman thinks breastfeeding is downright tribal.

I had a BirthCenter birth with my second child and I was there for about 4 hours. 40 minutes of birthing, and a 2-3 hour nap, then we left.

That doesn't happen in the hospital with a vaginal birth, and certainly not with a c-section.

A home birth must be really nice! I just don't think that I can get my house clean enough and I have a bunch of dogs that might drive me crazy!

As far as I am concerned, there is nothing worse than being in the hospital -- medicated birth is soooo last century!

Andee
:

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I had abdominal surgery to remove a dermoid that was growing around one of my ovaries. At first, they thought they could grab it with laproscopy (just a scope) but it had grown so much that they ended up having to actually do a laparatomy (CUT MY BIKINI LINE!)

ooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!

It took me a good two weeks to recover. And guys, we're talking about a dermoid the size of a grapefruit- not a 8 pound 21 inch baby. I couldnt' even get up to go pee by myself. Much less stand to change a diaper... I would do a CS if medically necessary, but I don't know that I would do an elective one.

Yeee-ouch!

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by OneLove View Post
medicated birth is soooo last century!

Can I make a shirt that says this? I love it!

You know, A Baby Story used to be kind of cool. I remember watching it in college ('96-'00) and I saw several homebirths, even. Maybe it's trying to out-sensationalize stuff like Birth Day on Discovery now? Ugh. We haven't had cable for about 8 years so I only see it at my mom's and it's been horrible every time recently.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Yeah, I agree that A Baby Story has changed a lot over the past 10 years.

The woman in the story from the original post should have been there to help my friend change the dressing on her c/s incision that kept opening up and getting infected (for weeks afterward!). Yuk.....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.