Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ick. Ick. Ick.

A rat (muskrat or water rat, probably) is busy making a winter home in my garden. I thought I saw it about a month ago when I was out harvesting tomatoes... saw the long, black, hairy tail disappear into my mint. Hadn't seen it since, though I saw evidence...

I had almost convinced myself that I was crazy until it reappeared last week. It's big. It's ugly. It's making a nice cozy home under the black landscape fabric I put out. (Didn't know I was actually installing solar heating for a RAT.)

I'm sooooooooooooo disgusted by rodents!

How can I get it to find a new home?

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
You could try deterents like moth balls.If you are allowed to catch and relocate I would recommend a trap from Harbor freight for $19.95,and taking the animal atleast 10 miles away to a cozy park or wetland.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Called a wildlife trapper today... he does "catch and release".

I'm waiting for a return call, but I already feel better.

And, despite my disgust, I'm glad it won't have to suffer & die... I'm happy to have it live FAR from my home!

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
We have a lot of animals by us.I have seen groundhog,rabbits,squirrels,and a family of 6 racoons! I try to tolerate, but being the only gardener on this street I seem to have everyone over for feasting daily.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts