Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to go nuts! I work with this lady that is very loud, highly opinionated, and very bossy. She generally doesn't bug me or anything and her stories are usually hilarious because she gets into these situations because of her personality. BUT! I am going to scream if she says one more freaking mainstream piece of BS about pregnancy and birth! UGH!

So last week we're eating lunch and I guess I said something about having a MW earlier that week or the week before, and she asks me if I'm going to a hospital or having the baby at home since I have a MW. I said I was going to a free standing birth center. And she goes on to a) be relieved and b) excoriate home birth. My sister had her second child at home! She goes on to say "well my Amy, is a nurse and just thinks that any woman who would be stupid enough to have a baby at home doesn't deserve to keep that child." EXCUSE ME???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just told you my sister birthed her 2nd at home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your daughter has an AA in nursing and is bad-mouthing fellow nurses as inferior, to her superior knowledge in the subject, I'm sure, who have MNs and Doctorates??????? Get the frick over yourself. I merely looked at her and said well from my research your daughter, the nurse, has an ignorant, un-informed opinion. And went on to eat lunch. I then later said, as she of course went on and on trying to convince me that her daughter is right, that she should look into the rate of death in infants and mothers in industrialized nations. And of course told her that the US is one of the highest in both and that the Netherlands, who have 1/3 of all births at home with MWs, is the lowest. She was astounded. Oh and another co-worker backed me up in that. I guess she did some research in it herself.

OK so fast forward to today at lunch. I really had to bite my tongue on this one as we had 2 ladies from one of our vendors with us and I didn't want to look crazy or start a fight. So she says her grandson's b-day is on the 20th and that they are celebrating both Christmas and his b-day seperate and don't push them together, which is nice. BUT then she went on to explain why his b-day is on the 20th. It is because his due date was on Christmas Eve and she just couldn't bare to have a grandson born on that day because her mother died on Christmas Eve so she told her daughter (Amy, the genius nurse) to "get that fixed." Because so many babies come on their EDD, right?
I'm sorry but you risked the life of your daughter and your grandson to satisfy your own discomfort with a day?? Wow, I guess the 20th could have sucked too had something gone wrong with messing with mother nature and not letting her run her course, but I digress. She then sayes "well that seems how everyone is doing it now a days anyway. All of these Dr's are scheduling inductions and c-sections for morning and mid-day, so what does it matter?" I guess my information on mortality rates in the US during birth hasn't set in yet, huh? So another co-worker and I, at the same time (we weren't even sitting near each other), rolled our eyes and said "yeah it's for the convenience of the Dr's so they don't have to interrupt their own lives with your's." I am going to scream if one more uninformed, mainstream piece of "fact" comes out of her mouth and well I have too long to go before this baby is born!
: UGH!!!!!!!
:

ETA: I just wanted to add too that her grandson does have some development retardation/problems. I know this because she's loud and shares EVERYTHING. So who's to say that inducing didn't cause these things. You'll never know as you can't go back but to then act like it's no big deal? Hello! Why would you risk your child's life like that? Her other daughter is a pharmacist and knows the effects of drugs on the body, etc. You'd think she'd speak up about possible effects. I've talked to her, she's not that mainstream.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Ugh! It's always the ignorant opinionated ones that seem to be the loudest, isn't it?!

I'm not sure I could have been as kind as you!

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Thats is SO frustrating. Sounds like my MIL. Her opinion on any matter is that if she hasn't experienced it, or doesn't know someone who has experienced it then it can't possibly be true. Its impossible to educate someone like that.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
A fool opens his mouth and removes all doubt. She'll just continue to look stupid to everyone else by being so vocal.

I am sure her dd had her baby on the 20th just for her mother too
How much you wanna bet the dr wanted to do it earlier so he didn't have to risk a birth on xmas. I wonder what the schedule looks like the week before christmas and new years. Bet its jam packed full of c/s and inductions.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
That is very frustrating! It's helpful that you have a co-worker who seems to think like you do.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CookAMH View Post
That is very frustrating! It's helpful that you have a co-worker who seems to think like you do.
Actually I have 2! Those were 2 different woman who backed me.
:

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
That sounds frustrating!! I agree, though, that unfortunately there is often no way to change the mind of people like that. It seems very important for them to be right, all the time! Grr

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
I can't help but laugh, you know its funny. I get it too. My Grandpa was telling me about the "diapers they have these days" like I've been living in the woods. I programmed your iPhone old man.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.