Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this may seem strange to notice now but here't the story........

My supply died when he was about four months old. I attempted relactation five different times and didn't get much of anywhere. I sometimes still latch him on to let him get the few drops that are in there. That being said.....He was spitty when I tried him on standard dairy formula so I have given him lactose free or partially broken down formulas. I recently started him on traditional solids. NOT runny babyfood, normal food. He'll be one in a few days. I gave him macaroni and cheese then noticed a blistery rash on his little bum. I treated it as a diaper rash and it went away. I gave him more macaroni and cheese about a week later and he got the same rash. That's when it dawned on me that the rash was likely from food allergies and NOT a typical dipe rash.

Is it possible that it is from dairy or am I off my rocker.

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
I think you might be on the right track. Claire gets eczema and a rashy bottom when she gets something that she isn't suppose to. I would do my best to keep him from all diary. Consider keeping him on his formula for the next year or at least for a few months so that you can confirm him not allergic to other foods.

Start reading lables and avoid all the milk, whey, cheese, yogurt, etc out there.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
If you mean Carnation Goodstart as the formula you gave him, I would definitely suspect a mild dairy allergy or dairy intolerance. I would look into both probiotics and eliminating ALL dairy, even trace for at least a year. Good luck! Hope he outgrows it!

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had been giving probiotics during his time on formula because of the fact that formula is really NOT that good for a child. In my mind it was a saving grace for the lack of breastmilk. I agree that I will eliminate dairy and keep the probiotics flowing. Thank you all so much for your responses.

·
Registered
88 Posts
He may have a protein Intolerance to something in the milk. My daughter Livy had a Protein Intolerance when she was an infant and so she was on a special formula called Neocate and it helped out alot. Everything was broken down for her. She before went through every formula that we could purchase in the stores but would break out in a full head to toe rash. She also wasn't gaining any weight either due to the intolerance. I would take your son to the doctors and either ask to be referred to an Allergist who can help make that prignoses or talk with the pediatrician about your findings. They will be able to direct you in the right direction.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts