Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't posted here in forever
I wasn't sure if I could call what we were doing "EC" anymore. We didn't discover it til my son was 6 months. Well, I had heard of it before but thought it took a special kind of crazy to think it was a good idea
: Yes, I eat crow a LOT since becomming a mama
:LOL It was FANTASTIC for months. Then he started walking and by around 12 months, it was all over. He had no interest in EC so, being the laid back EC mom that I am, I backed off.

Sometimes he wore diapers. Sometimes he just went on the floor :LOL Over time, I realized that (for me!) it's far easier to clean a poop off of the floor (yes, even carpet) than to clean a poop out of every nook and cranny of a toddler who doesn't want his diaper changed. I still tried to keep him in diapers or offer potty (I probably caught one a day) but yeah, he went on the floor a lot. I cleaned it up, no big deal.

Well a few weeks ago we suddenly realized he wasn't going on the floor and he wasn't going in his pants. He runs up to find me when he has to go "Ma! Ma! Ma! Poot!". I say "You have to go poot? Ok, let's go!" and take him to the potty. Sometimes it's "Da! Da! Da!"
I'm not sure when it actually happened because one day we just realized it had been days of him doing this. We hadn't even noticed! Wow. Totally stress free potty training at 24 months! My dd was three and, uh, yeah, it was stressfull (for ME).

He still has no clue how to pull his own pants down so he needs help going. And of course he loves to flush for every little baby tinkle
I also can't seem to get him to understand that when you wash your hands, you use towels to dry off and not toilet paper :LOL Yes, he's an environmental disaster right now
But a cute one

He's been wearing training underpants for days now. I'm feeling sort of bittersweet about those lovely soft cloth prefolds I will never use again (he's my last) but I know just the mom to give them to when she has her next baby

And for the record, he's been dry pretty consistantly at night since 6 months of age, when I discovered EC. That's when I found out that he wasn't peeing in his sleep but right after he woke. I started taking him first thing in the AM (at least he didn't drop that during his toddler strike) and he was able to sleep without bulky dipes and covers. Talk about breathability! You can't get much better than nakie
Especially useful in our hot, humid summers.

Anyway, I don't know if there's anyone here who remembers me (I'm not incredibly active on MDC overall) but I wanted to post our story somewhere without making people feel weird

·
Registered
669 Posts
Yay!!

I liked to hear your story. Now I have hope!! (My 6 month old has zero interest in potty right now. He's perfectly happy going in his diaper)

PT was really stressfull for me too with my 3yo. So I started EC to make myself have a more relaxed approach to it. I'm glad to see it worked for you, hopefully it'll work for me!!

·
Registered
346 Posts
That's so encouraging!

I tried ECing for a few months, starting around 5 months, but the poos were always coming in the middle of a meal and I was suffering from fatigue... so I gave up until recently.

I'm now starting EC my 5 month old, and my 2-1/2 year old is learning to sit on the potty too.

I think I'll do what you did and just have her go naked.

-- Caitlin

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks
And the added bonus is I put miniature little Hanes underpants on him today and OMG his butt is SO cute in them :LOL Even dh thought he looked adorable
And dd got educated in what the little flap is for in men's undies
(Not that her brother will be using the flap anytime soon, but she asked what it was)

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS!! Wow! Your little son can be very proud of himself! You are so right about the floor being easier to clean. Lately my DS hates being held over the toilet, so he has been standing up to pee pee in the bathtub. LOL!

I can imagine how cute underpants are on a little todler booty!

Jean

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.