Mothering Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>We're doing paperwork tomorrow. I'm a little nervous to say anything about it because I'm afraid something will happen and it won't go through, but I just had to say something somewhere! Obviously it's on a trial basis to make sure I can handle everything, but so far it looks pretty good!!! I'm really, REALLY hoping that it works out!!! This will be a TREMENDOUS relief if it works out. I'll still be staying with my family but it means I won't be doomed to staying there forever and I won't have to struggle to afford the basics like I have in the past AND it's a M-F 9-5 job which I'm sure all of you ladies understand the importance of with LOs, single parent or not. I've always worked retail and the hours are horrid and I just don't have the luxury of doing that anymore now that I have a second child on the way (not that it really was a "luxury" before, ugh).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>So, I just thought I'd share my optimism and request some positive vibes/finger crossings/prayers/etc. from you guys! </p>

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
<p>AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! </p>

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
<p>Is there a finger's crossed smiley?? </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm so glad!!!  Paperwork is a good thing - it takes so long it doesn't get done for people unless they want you.  I REALLY hope it works out!!</p>

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<p>And this is why I didn't want to post anywhere about it... I haven't heard from him. Who knows, maybe he got busy. Ugh...I'm so tired of people being so flakey when it comes to jobs. I've had two other interviews where they were really interested...but then I never heard from them. And that's fine if they found someone who was a better fit, but I'm so tired of being TOLD that I'll get a call and then not getting a call. /endrant</p>

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
<p>Ever heard the saying, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease"??  You need to call THEM and follow-up.  Or Email, "Dear ___, It was great meeting with you November ___.  I'm really excited about the prospect of working for ____, please let me know if there is any other information you need regarding your hiring decision."  I'm sure there are better formats out there - google should come up with some good follow up email templates.  Don't give up!</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
<p>Follow ups are key, like PP mentioned.  Employers say that as many as 8 follow ups are the ones who get the job.  It seems very intrusive to call back that many times, as a person who is applying, but really what do you have to lose?  And the fact is, that an employer has SO many other applicants who ARE calling and reminding the employer daily about themselves, that you almost *have* to call back and call back and call again to even be remembered, if you even expect to stand a chance.  And many employers want to see that sort of tenacity from a prospective employee anyway.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>And also, don't be discouraged about someone saying "We'll call you".  That is generic and actually doesn't literally mean that they will call you at all.  It means that they will call *if* you end up being the one they hire, or want to talk with for a second interview (which even, fourth + interviewees sometimes get passed for THE job at hand).  "We'll call you"  does NOT ever mean guaranteed employment at all.  When you hear that line, maybe take it as a good sign.  At least they didn't say something like "Well, we're looking for some one who has >>> qualities, and you don't fit that need".  But never get heartbroken if they say they'll call and then don't.  It really is nothing personal.  It's what the interviewer has to say.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>If you hear that line, maybe follow up a few days later with a written resume and cover letter, then a few days after that, follow up again with a phone call asking if they've filled the position yet and see if you can get a second interview, etc.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Don't give up!  Or get discouraged by the "We'll call you" lingo of interview staff.  I wish you best luck on getting a great job that makes you happy very soon!</p>

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<p>I emailed him and no response, so I decided I would call tomorrow (I have his cell phone number). We'll see...</p>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts