Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last night i was cleaning the fridge out and i stood up and wacked the top of my head really hard on the freezer door above. i felt "off" for the rest of the night, but i am prone to anxiety attacks, and i really hate hitting my head, so i coulndt tell if the "off " feeling was just anxiety. (anxiety attacks for me are weird physical symptoms like feeling faint and spacy) i didnt get knocked out, BTW, but it made me sit right down.

i didnt get a bruise on my head for several hours. then this morning i woke up and i feel hung over---i just feel really yucky. if it is a concussion, i think its mild, but is there anythening i should be doing for it? i only have health insurance through the university, and of course i need to call a DR during the break when they are closed
i feel lucid and everything and dont think i need to see a DR but just posting to make sure....

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i dont have a dr to call. my clinic is closed. i guess i can call a different clinic. but i would like to know what the danger is, or if they would even do anythign besides send me back home. i dont have alo of money and dont want to waste 200 on an ER trip

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
OK. Depending on its location and how much damage was done, there are a lot of risks.

Blood clots, for one.

Doesn't your clinic have an emergency number? Somone has to be on-call.

I'm giving you this advice as you are posting on the board asking. Personally, I'm in the process of getting a Do Not Resusitate medi-alert bracelet, so I have no especial love for hospitals and the medical profession.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok i just called. no . no one is on call. the clinic literally closes all medical services over school breaks.

they told me to call a differnt clinic. i called that clinic and THEY told me to call the ER. i talked to the ER nurse and she said she cant reccommend one way or another and i should jsut come in.

i cant afford it. i am crying now. this is so horrible. none of them care that i dont have money. i get free visits at school. the school insurance only covers half elsewhere, and thats AFTER a $300 deductable, meaning i have to pay $300 first.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Take a deep breath.

First of all, you went to sleep and you woke up. That is good.

I'm afraid I don't religiously follow all your posts.
I don't know your living situation. Can you sleep when someone else in the house is awake who can keep an eye on you? Can you do this for a couple of days?

I had a severe concussion when a child (was unconscious for 5 minutes). I went into the hospital for 48 hours for "observation". I was hooked up to a couple of glue-on monitors and my blood pressure was taken every three hours or so. I was allowed to eat anything I wanted.

I was fine. (Well, some people would debate that
, but my weirdness is NOT due to that concussion, I'm sure of THAT.)

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by stirringleaf
ps its not personal agianst you, i am just really frusterated and worried right now. DH isnt home. i have no car. and....anxiety is my middle name....

OK, I'm convinced,
you HAVE to go in for observation. You are horribly confused. You didn't attack anyone in that post.

**JOKE, JUST A JOKE** (please laugh)

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Unless you are throwing up, having noticable swelling, are dizzy, having severe headaches for during the next day or two, I'd do nothing if I were you.

I was in a car accident and broke out/completely shattered my driver's side window WITH MY HEAD. It did not give me a concussion. It takes ALOT of force to create even a hairline fracture in the skull.

I know you're scared, but if $$$ is an issue and it's already difficult to get to a clinic, I think it's safe to just monitor the situation for a few days and see how you feel. That's probably what a doctor would tell you, plus $100.00.

Hope you get better soon.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
there is a clinic 3 blocks away from my house. its going to be $100. i called DH to see if he would take me to the urgent care clinic on the other side of town and he just isnt taking me seriously at all, making me argue with him that i do indeed feel weird.

anyway the clinic 3 blocks away is a womens clinic but i told them my situation and they will see me. soj said "blood clots" and i freaked. i bet i am fine

another $100 down the toilet i guess, but i just want to make sure im ok. i really do feel odd. i know i dont have a fracture, but your brain can get shaken in your head and cause swelling. i guess my fear right now is i pass out and i am alone with DS. DH is being such a jerk if you dont mind me saying. he wont come get me. he works at a weekly paper, and deadline is tomorrow, but he has been known to come home for an hour for lunch on mondays, so his resistance to helping me is just nonsensical to me

no, i cant go lie down, due to the above , alone.

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
i've had a couple of concussions i think. one was when i was a kid (12 or so) and fell off my bike on a hill and whacked my head on the pavement (no bike helmets back in the olden days). i biked on home (about a mile) and just hung out. my older brother was there, but not my mom so i didn't even tell him what happened -- just waited for my mom to get home. i know it was a concussion because i had a freaky visual disturbance. y'know how you normally have a blind spot that your brain just fills in (don't know if you've ever done any of those optical illusion things)? well, this whack on my head gave me a freaky hollow egg shaped blind spot in the middle of my vision. i remember trying to read tv guide and the letters were all jumbled and bumbled. i ended up being just fine. i think the other concussion i had was when i was in a car wreck and i did have to be in the hospital for my other injuries as well. they let me go after spending one night i think.

hth

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
I hope every thing is going ok.

Please post soon to let us know how you are feeling.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok so i walked the three blocks, spent the $100 ( well im getting billed for it)

and the dr says hes pretty sure i have a mild concussion. he said i look OK , vitals checked out normal, but to be careful in the next week not to wack it again , and if i suddenly feel worse to go to the ER right away.

i feel really crappy right now, just waves of nausea. i dont know if i should eat or not, i feel too tired to make anything. im really spacy.

however now that my Doorknob Husband has a diagnosis he is ready to be supportive.

its somewhat comforting to know that all of this isnt a giant panic attack...yet i would really rather not have a concussion right now either...on the walk over there i was planning to ask them to help me find a tharapist, if i was really having that long of a panic attack. i have never had one last that long ( overnight, into the next day)

when we got back i realised i forgot to feed DS anything but a banana today. its noon. Dh is coming home for lunch, so i can rest.

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
glad you got looked at and have some support from "d"h now...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.