Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WHere do I start? I am 33wks pregnant with #2 and my 3yo is still in diapers (disposables) I would really like to start cloth at least with the new baby. My 3yo is very sensitive particularly to what is on his body (won't wear shorts even in 100 degree weather, won't wear sandals w/o socks. etc. always has been this way) he also has had a poop-withholding problem for 1.5yrs (not from 'potty training' we never have even tried) so I doubt he would be willing to switch but who knows. I would like to at least try it with the new baby. How do I get started? My 3yo is very "spirited" and requires constant attention (yes more than every 3yo) so it needs to be easy...I know that sounds lame but i'm being honest
: . I have heard of the All In Ones. Would that be the way to go for simplicity? Cost is not as much a factor as how easy to wear/clean. Do diaper services still exist (I live in the Boston area)? Do you just throw the cloth in the regular wash? I really know nothing but I want to learn
ANy help appreciated

Yay I figured out how to do more than the smile face!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I agree that folding prefolds in thirds in a cover is fast, economical, and easy! The only prob I found is that cleaning up bf poop is kinda messy on prefolds if you don't use a fleece liner.
AIOs are quick and easy, but certainly a lot more costly, usually.

There are diaper services still around and you are probably in a great area for one. I would think it would be pretty easy to use one.. just don't base your cd'ing experience on the diapers and covers you get from one!
WAHM products are so much more fun and you can buy specifically what you like to use!
Another great option would be pockets. You can stuff them with prefolds.. and then you have several options since you can also use the pocket dipe as a cover and just lay a prefold in it!

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I know this is gonna sound Put off'ish, but the best way to get started is to read thru threads here and all the resource info found above. Then you can get an idea of what works for the masses to narrow down your choices, b/c even though you mentioned aio's, there are tons of aio's out there, many better than others, and aio's are only one option for quick and easy changes. It can seem daunting.

For wash, you want to do diaper laundry separate from your other laundry, and many do simple routines like a cold prerinse then a hot wash with one or two rinse cycles to follow. You can line dry or dryer dry. If you choose pul pockets or aio's, you may want to air dry to prolong the life of the pul, but many do not and the dipes are still fine.

Diaper services still exist, but I think they only do prefolds and you have to supply your own covers. Prefolds need not be snappi'ed or pinned. You can tri or quad fold them and then lay them in wrap style covers (sides wrap around and close in the front, usually with hook and loop aka velcro or aplix).

Good luck jumping in and also with pt'ing your 3 yo!!

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
CDind doesn't have to be hard, but the idea of it might become overwhelming when you're presented with dozens of different options, and you have a good starting point, because you know you need something easy to use.

I'm a HUGE fan of AIO's too. I'm currently replacing all my fitteds with AIO's because it's too much of a hassle with a wiggly baby to put a diaper on AND a cover. They are very easy to use, the only difference btwn them and disposables is that you have to wash them.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
I switched when my DS was a year old, and I was looking for easy too. I decided to try a variety of things to see what worked for me, as I also worked outside the home. I love AIOs, fitted diapers (diapers that need a cover), and prefolds and wraps. For me, they all serve different purposes. The easiest are AIOs, and then prefolds and wraps.

Here are some links to places I've bought from and loved.
www.angelwraps.com She has awesome AIOs. These were my first diapers.
www.cutest-cloth-diapers.com These are great AIOs for newborns. Also very affordable.
www.naturalbabies.com She has a huge selection and tons of choices for covers, prefolds, etc.

Good luck to you. I'm expecting #2 in a few weeks and will be CDing the new baby as well.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I think you will find that cloth diapering is fun and really not that hard at all. You get used to rinsing off the poo after a while, and I personally get excited when the diapers are fresh and clean and I can stack them in nice little pretty piles again. I know a lot of moms have a great time picking which diaper to use next too!! It can be somewhat addicting, and there are a ton of options to choose from, so take some time and ask questions and do some research. Good luck...I hope you join us!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow! Thanks everyone
I'm starting to feel less overwhelmed already. I think i'll head over to one of the WAHM sites mentioned and buy enough AIOs to get started. Maybe i'll also get a couple big ones for my almost 40lb 3yo if they make them that big.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Woah...I didn't realize how expensive each AIO is. I'm going to check out the trading post and Ebay.... I wonder how many newborn size I will need?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts