Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I thought I'd give the knitting a go tonight. I dunno if I have the wrong type of yarn (worsted medium, acrylic, 8 gauge) or needles (US 10, aluminum) or if I'm just inept. I think I've got the single cast on down (I really wanted to use double, since it said on knittinghelp.com that it was easier to stitch even), though I dunno if my slipknots are quite right. The thing is, my stitches seem REALLY tight, I try and make them loose but as I go they just seem to really tighten up. Plus, they aren't evenly spaced on the needle. I try and push them around to make them even, but it doesn't work so good.

My knit stitch is atrocious. I am not even 100% sure I'm doing it right, it's hard to get the needle in the loop, I'm not sure if I'm looping the yarn correctly around the needle and they come out all bunchy and not at all looking like a knit stitch. Plus when I pull the last one off (my slip knot), it just kinda falls apart. Plus, as I'm knit stitching, it seems that there is a lot of yarn between the stitches that are on the left and right needles and gets more and more as I go. I don't think that's supposed to happen, is it?

Needless to say...

·
Registered
518 Posts
Both your problem with getting the needle in the loop and all that extra yarn is probably due to the cast-on you used. A backward loop cast-on is really tough to knit!

Maybe try knitting-on? That simplifies the number of new things you're learning at once, just be sure to work loosely as you go!

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I agree- It's that cast on method. Learn another method and things will go much smoother... but- don't get hung up on making things perfect or even- that comes only with time.... lots of time... don't go re-knitting the first inch of a scarf because your tension is off or because you made a hole or lost a stitch or gained a few... PLOW AHEAD--- don't get jittery and keep backstepping... go forward and learn from the mistakes behind you (I'm not saying ignore them- just don't bother to erase them!... notice, understand, and move on!)

Think of this like handwriting practice and you have to fill a notebook with "o's" OK? Don't sit down, pick up a pencil and then feel like a failure because you can't crank out some iambic pentameter.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Try going to a local yarn shop and asking for help.That is what I did they will tell you what yarn you need what needles and teach you how to knit.Some offer classess to just ask if they have beginner classess

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
my stitches were always super tight too. That was one of my biggest problems. I'm just NOW (as in last night) getting to where my stitches are nice and loose and I can knit soooo much easier now. I use double cast on and it looks nicer to me and is stretchier than single. I just had to make a concious effort to relax my right hand so the tension on the yarn would be loose, and then "loop" rather than "wrap" around the needle as I made my stictch. I was worried if didnt do nice pretty (tight) stitches the finished product would look messy. It doesnt at all.

PS - wanted to add that it didnt really take that long before I was able to knit loose. I knit for a few days, thought I sucked at it and put it down for 2 wks. Just picked it up last night, knit a swatch, purled a swatched and then started K2 P2 for good measure. lol. I think I'm ready for a project now.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I've never done the knotting you're talking about, so I don't know what to tell you for that. (obviously pps have good advice!) But I know that the first few rows you knit are really tough (b/c they're so tight, and don't feel very good), but once you've knit a few rows, it suddenly gets better. Seriously. So... have you kept plugging away?

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Ditto what everyone has said!

Just keep going... and if you keep at it, then suddenly everything will start to look OK.

The beginning of a project always looks wonky to me - even now that I've been knitting for a few months. So, that is part of it too.

Also - I'm just mentioning this because I didn't know any better - if you just do knit stitches, you realize you will end up with garter stitch, not stockinette stitch, right? So each row will be bumpy. Not those nice smooth v's that you see on diaper soakers and sweaters and such.

Just throwing that out there, 'cause I didn't realize it ... boy did I think my knitting sucked there for a while!

Hey, if you post a pic of your progress, we can tell you whether there's really anything wrong, or whether it looks like normal knit stitches.

And remember, your knitting will always look 10 times worse to you than to anyone else... that part won't get better either!

Hang in there

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I have kept plugging away and it's gotten better. I did go out and buy some nicer (their are a metal instead of plastic, Susan Bates, I think?) size 8 needles and they work so much better for me (though I'm dying to try bamboo). I'm also thinking about getting some wool and trying that, as I think maybe my acrylic yarn is causing some issues.

I've just done a double cast on (finally figured it out, had to use the thumb method though) and knit stitch. I started the cast on with a slip knot (which I read you could do? ) it's actually starting to look like a dishcloth. It's a bit uneven in spots but I try not to look back and obsess over it.

I'll take some pics tonight so you all can check my work 9 (since I could just put a bunch of knots in yarn and hubby would say it looked like good knitting)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.