Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Premium Member
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else been sick yet this pregnancy?

I'm totally getting sick. I have that achey nose/throat thing, I have a mild headache, I feel like I have a very low fever, but I don't have a thermometer to actually check, since in a fit of TTC pique a few months ago, I threw out all of my thermometers and only realized later that I threw out the fever thermometer along with the basal thermometers. (Oops!)

I'm even right on schedule - I usually get The Lurgy within the first month of the new semester, I have since I was in public school.

My dog and I are sitting on the couch watching TV and drinking grape juice.

I'm not sure if I should keep my homebirth midwife appointment in the morning, I should call them when I get up and see what they say. I'm not coughing, and this doesn't feel like the flu, plus I already had the flu in the fall. This feels more sinusey, it feels like That Cold That Is Going Around.

Any sick-while-pregnant tips? I'm not taking anything, I don't typically take a lot of over-the-counter-stuff, but am I supposed to call my doc or something? I could call the hospital midwives, but I don't really want to do that, because I haven't even had a real appointment with them yet.

I am such a whiney baby when I'm sick, I'm a little worried I'm going to be even more of a wimp because I'm knocked up.

· Registered
514 Posts
It is probably too late for this cold, but a neti pot has been working WONDERS for me.

My son and my husband (note: my husband NEVER gets sick...EVER!) have passed two colds between them and I (who catch EVERYTHING) have avoided them. This is a first for me, and I really attribute it to nightly use of the neti pot.

I'm having some increased stuffiness - not mucous or illness-feeling stuff, but sort of a swollenness in my nose and sinuses, and a little bit of (sorry for the TMI) blood-tinged booger action. --- I think this is all the fun increase in blood flow from the pregnancy plus dry air and weather changes in my area....but the neti pot is still helping - I'm now using it morning and night and it is clearing out lots of yuck.

Other than that - the only other time I've somehow miraculously avoided being sick was when I was pregnant with DS....so I don't have a lot of advice! (though if you want advice for treating a nasty cough and cold when you have a 3 week old and mastitis, I've got you covered! lol)

· Registered
257 Posts
Papa - I hope you feel better soon. I suggest that you call the doctor and see what they recommend. Feel better.

· Registered
282 Posts
Yes, I've been sick. Only found out I was pg because I tested before I took the handful of meds I was about to self medicate with. (Not really a handful, but tylenol and zyrtec.)
I have had a bad cough and low grade fever, max of 100, for 3 full days, achy too. I think it was H1N1. I did take tylenol whenever my fever got near 100. I was concerned to take the tylenol, but also concerned about having the temp.

Feel better soon!

Hollie

· Registered
216 Posts
Ugh, sorry you are sick. Being sick in general sucks but pregnancy just elevates everything to a new level of yuck.

Just look out for a fever - you should try to stay within 2 degrees of your normal temp. Don't be afraid to take Tylenol to bring it down - the fever can do harm!

s - feel better soon!

· Premium Member
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone, I don't seem to be progressing from Getting Sick to Sick yet.

My face hurts, my head is a little achey, my throat a little scratchy, but I'm not sneezing or coughing and the fever (?) wasn't that high and is now gone.

I am going to get a neti pot and a thermometer though, because I'm sure this won't be the only time I feel sick in the next eight months. . . .

· Registered
4,915 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by FtMPapa View Post
Thanks everyone, I don't seem to be progressing from Getting Sick to Sick yet.
This has been me for the past week and a half! My nose feels REALLY nasty-dry, and I wake up with nasty dry boogers and eye crusties (TMI, yes, but we're a DDC and things will be getting a LOT more TMI once we start talking about mucus plugs
), and my eyes have that tired/getting sick feeling... but nothing seems to be materializing.

That reminds me, time for a saline nose flush.

· Registered
2,025 Posts
I just started the same symptoms yesterday around 2pmish. I drank 3 emergen-C's yesterday and have had one today and will probably take 2 more before the day is up. emergen-C always does wonders for me. When I get really desperate, I also chew a few cloves of raw garlic and down it with OJ. If you can stomach it, I'd recommend that, it'll kill anything and should be safe for bebe!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.