Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a beautiful 3 month old little girl who is EBF. She refuses to comfort nurse at all. When she is fussy I try and offer the the nipple and she pulls away and shoves a fist in her mouth while she cries. There is no forcing the issue at all, she just refuses. Whats worse is that she started biting me when she is frustrated for whatever reason. Its not a terrible problem yet, but it hurts already and I can't even imagine what its going to be like when she has teeth. Sometimes I think it will just be a matter of reading her signals and not offering her the breast when she is in a "bitey" mood, but its hard to tell. I think she is starting to teeth and I feel like a chew toy at the moment. My older son never did this when he was a baby, we had a wonderful nursing relationship for 2 1/2 years. I'm so worried that I am going to have to resort to feeding her pumped milk through a bottle. Are there any tricks to stopping this behavior? I'm at wits end, its not like you can reason with a baby. I was thinking a nipple shield maybe? She really likes to bite the boob that feeds her.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I can't give you much insight into what is going on...But I can tell you my son did nearly the exact same thing at around 3-4 months! It was weird, and I even asked about it here...He would get really offended if I offered him the breast if he wasn't quite hungry. And even when he did want to actually eat, he wrestled and nipped and did not seem happy.

I think you are on the right track, that is what I did. I offered it less, or at least when I thought for sure he was hungry. And I would try to make feedings as mellow and quiet as I could. I think he just grew out of it. DS is now a great nurser again, he eats about every hour. Around 5 months, I think is when he grew out of it. And with teething he actually uses it to comfort. And he has yet to bite with teeth
:. So things can change...and then probably change again!

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Do you think you might have a strong letdown? Some babies will chomp as a means of coping with a fast flow. You might also consider some osteopathic/chiro manipulation for her if it continues. Sometimes chomping issues can be related to that.

Nipple shields aren't really designed for this type of problem, and they're so thin and flexible I don't think they'd offer you much in the way of protection anyway.

I agree with the PP about minimizing distractions too. Go to a quiet area, turn the lights down. I'm the one who started the other thread about non-comfort nursers
I've found sometimes just climbing into a warm tub with her in the evening when she's fussy helps a ton. Tonight that was the only way I could get her to nurse after a vicious cycle of fussiness and refusal to nurse.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiger Lily View Post
Do you think you might have a strong letdown? Some babies will chomp as a means of coping with a fast flow. You might also consider some osteopathic/chiro manipulation for her if it continues. Sometimes chomping issues can be related to that.

Nipple shields aren't really designed for this type of problem, and they're so thin and flexible I don't think they'd offer you much in the way of protection anyway.

I agree with the PP about minimizing distractions too. Go to a quiet area, turn the lights down. I'm the one who started the other thread about non-comfort nursers
I've found sometimes just climbing into a warm tub with her in the evening when she's fussy helps a ton. Tonight that was the only way I could get her to nurse after a vicious cycle of fussiness and refusal to nurse.
I know I have a very strong letdown, and it may be that reason. It could be teething. Sometimes before she was teething (at like 1 month old) she would growl and lunge at my breast and bite it...(seriously) But I'm not so sure she is chopping because of the fast flow, she doesn't seem to bite when she starts to nurse, only if she doesn't want to and I'm offering my breast when she is fussy.

It does seem to help to minimize distractions. I usually nurse her side lying in a darkened room right before her naps, but she has to be really ready to nurse. And yeah, sometimes when she is really fussy I have to take a bath with her and that always works to calm her down. Your night sounds just like my night did. She was fussy and crying for hours, refusing to nurse even though I knew she was hungry, we took a bath and that did the trick.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.