Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a week ago I gave my dogs a chew hoof each. I have given them a few in the past and decided since I was at the pet store I would get them one each. Well when I went to take them away that night there was only one piece left about an inch and a half in diameter.

My little guy (65lbs) was acting needy that night like he didn't feel good. He eats fine and acts fine until just after he eats. Then he stands with his tail down next to me, if I move he follows. He just want to be touching me. He is eatting and pooping fine, not vomiting, and no blood in poop or urine. This has been going on for a week. He is a raw fed dog.

I'm thinking about feeding him some canned pumpkin for a few days to see if the fiber can help him pass it. Of course if he stops pooping or eatting than he will go to the vet. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
for some reason cotton balls soaked in beef/chicken broth is coming to mind to help pad his stomach/intestines as this passes through? i feel like i saw that posted somewhere here once

are you sure that she swallowed it? not a chance that it slipped under a couch or anything?

on a side note, my first dog ate a very hard plastic chip clip (one without any metal) a few years back. don't ask me why....he was odd
anyway, peices of that thing came out in his poop for days. it was red, so very easy to see. about a month later, he threw up in the corner of our bedroom.....a peice of red chip clip the size of a quarter came out!

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
It could be that he's working something through--chew hooves are indigestible, so it should eventually come out one way or the other.

I would do the pumpkin. The cotton balls soaked in broth or cream work beautifully on small shards of things, like if a dog eats a christmas ornament, but I wouldn't want to add even more bulk if he's having trouble getting the hoof out of his stomach. If he's not better in a few days, or if at any point he starts really acting sick or runs a fever, I'd take him in to get checked out.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thekimballs View Post
I would do the pumpkin. The cotton balls soaked in broth or cream work beautifully on small shards of things, like if a dog eats a christmas ornament, but I wouldn't want to add even more bulk if he's having trouble getting the hoof out of his stomach.
aaahhhh, thanks for helping me out with the cotton ball thing.....i knew it was helpful for something

1 - 4 of 4 Posts