Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So many questions to ask all of you experienced BF moms....
My first issue is this--when Erin was about 2 weeks old I noticed 2 plugged ducts in my right breast. I had been wearing these nursing tanks that I got at Target while I was pregnant and so didn't try them on. Even though I'm usually a small, I bought mediums. They're still too tight. After these plugged ducts, I decided to stop wearing them.
Well, a week went by when I was just wearing these 2 maternity tanks/camisoles that have a shelf bra. I decided to get some nursing bras and went out and got fitted and bought two. I wore them over the weekend. Sunday I noticed 2 plugged ducts in my left breast and later noticed a few more in my right breast. Since then I've been back to the maternity tanks or regular shirts without a bra (even though my breasts are small--B/C cup right now--this is still somewhat uncomfortable). I haven't worn a nursing bra for a week now and havent' had any more plugged ducts.
What do I do?? Can I not wear nursing bras? Are there looser nursing bras out there?
I've already spent so much money on this stuff, I hate to spend any more, but I'd like to wear something other than these maternity tanks/camisoles.
Thanks!
Jill

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I had the same problem after spending $100 on nursing bras.
What's been working for me is a combination of the maternity tanks with the shelf bras (at night), and a regular softcup front-close bra in a larger band size than I should really be wearing. The larger band size isn't great on my back, but it lets my boobs "breathe" on the sides more, and this helps with the pain and plugged ducts. I just push the cups to the side to nurse -- I don't even have to unfasten the bra to do it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
That sounds like a good idea. I don't know what kind of nursing bras you bought, but Motherwear.com has some very nice cotton, snap-front bras without wire that I really liked. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
i had the same issue. I have been using bravado bras from the start, b/c when you undo to nurse there is no restrictive "holster" that the boob is in. I cant use others b/c of plugs. try a bravado - they are comfy and great!

oh, the target tanks did it to me too. what I did was cut out the holster and just leave a thin elastic string on the side that connects to the top strap.

you might also want to take soay lecithin if you are that prone to plugged ducts.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Ahhhh! Those dreadful Target tanks! I thought I was crazy until I read this thread! I too bought a medium and it's way to small and gives me plugged ducts. I like the idea of cutting that holster out though.

I have 2 Bravados that I've used since the beginning...and I love them. I think I need to go down a size now that my boobs have "regulated" themselves a little.

Do you sling a lot too? I've found that a tight fitting sling/wrap will give me plugged ducts. Especially my Moby wrap or KKAFP...of course, that doesn't stop me from wearing them because I love them too much! hee hee!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone.
I did get fitted when I bought the nursing bras, so I think I have the right size. Maybe I will splurge on a Bravado bra. It's nice to know these have worked for others of you in a similar situation. I'll also try cutting out hte inside of the Target tanks. I really like the clasps on these and so it would be great to be able to use them.
I think I am prone to plugged ducts since I woke up with another one this morning and I can't blame it on the bras this time. I guess I'll be getting some soy lecithin.
I also have a bra extender that I bought when I was pregnant so I didn't have to buy even more bras during my third trimester. I might try that with the nursing bra that I ahve that has the cups that you just push to the side, but I really wonder if its more a cup thing than a band thing since most of the plugged ducts are under my arm or at the top of my breast.
Thanks again everyone!
Jill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts