Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago, I started signing with Lydia. Well, I started re-signing (I had done it when she was too tiny to remember and then stopped b/c it was monotonous for me.) We do "milk" consistently, to mean nursing. And then "all done" when we're finished, and "sleep" occasionally. I'll add more as time goes on; I don't want to overwhelm her. But the other night when I got up for one of her night feedings, I really think that she signed "milk" to me. Of course, it WAS in the middle of the night and I was half asleep, so I could have been imagining the whole thing, but she seems to have done it a few other times since then. It's so hard to tell since she moves her hands around a bunch anyway, but the few times I saw her do it, it really seemed deliberate. I'm excited.
I hope she's really signing and I'm not just seeing something that isn't there.

·
Registered
451 Posts
She probably is starting to sign. I think it's pretty normal for babies to start returning signs by 11 months old. It's very cool. Ds1 was signing over 100 words by the time he hit 18 months. It was so helpful and a wonderful experience for both of us. Keep at it!

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Oh I'm just so antsy for my DD to start signing back, she's just 9 days younger than yours. I've been signing "milk", "eat", "more", "potty", "cat" and "all done" fairly consistently for months -- I know she wasn't likely to 'get it' months ago but it was practice for me lol... And occasionally I try "book", "daddy", "drink", and "O's" (for her cereal puffs, they're not O-shaped but I figured it would work as a 'generic' cereal sign), and "apple".

There have been times she's made the potty sign or milk sign, but it seems to be just hand-babbling with no real meaning. You know how the milk sign is just opening and closing a fist, well, babies do that just to practice opening and closing their fist lol...

HOWEVER, she seems to be *recognizing* and responding to signs recently, even if she's not making them herself. If she's on the floor and starts to get fussy and heads toward me, I'll ask "do you want to nurse?" and make the sign, she sees it and gets excited! Or in the high chair, we'll ask if she wants more and she gets excited.

We just love the whole signing idea and can't wait for her to really start communicating with us directly like that!!

·
Registered
346 Posts
I agree with pp, she is probably signing! It was like this for us at first, hey, did she just use a sign?! Their motor skills are so all over the place for a while, that their signs are approximations, and then one day they get it! My DD makes a lot of the signs in the wrong place, like she signs cat on head near her ear instead of on her face. Just keep going and your LO will get it, and be increasingly conversational with her hands...

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
baby talk in sign is just like baby talk in spoken language. Very vague at first, but it gets clearer with practice and reinforcement. Just like saying mmma, for mommy at first.

Congrats to your daughter and have fun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.