Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in my third month of pregnancy. Ursula turns 3 in one week. Anika turns 1 in three weeks.

I think that all three of us have whooping cough.

I'm reading:
Aviva Jill Romm's Vaccinations: A Thoughtful Parent's Guide: How to Make Safe, Sensible Decisions about the Risks, Benefits, and Alternatives

I'm 90% sure of it.

Cough with vomiting. Feels like a headcold. We don't feel like eating, except soup broth and fresh fruit.

What do we do? What are the risks while I am pregnant?

-- Caitlin

·
Registered
251 Posts
Go to the hospital. Especially if you think you childrens airways are compromised. Most adults can get through this fine, but children have a harder time. I have a medical background, but most of the time stay clear of docs and western medicine except for when I am at work. I don't know what your feelings are about western medicine, but when it comes to compromised airways get help.

Do your kids cough more often at night and have short, rapid coughs followed by a whooping sound? Do they turn blue while having the coughing fit? Do their tounges hang out? You mentioned they vomit. This can last 4-6 weeks.

The reason I mention about getting them to the hosptial is if you are worried about their airway. Most treatment for whooping cough is supportive- bed rest, increase humidity, more fluids. So if their are know signs of airway obstuction you can manage this at home even if it is scary...

Whooping cough can come with risks though...Pneumonia, collapsed lung, dehydration are a few. The one besides obstucted airway that you have to worry about the most is dehydration. Make sure you and your kids are getting enough to drink. Dehydration is the number one reason for hospitalization for children.

I hope it is not whooping cough. Trust your instincts and don't be afraid to seek out medical help.

As for you and your pregnancy, do you have a midwife or doctor you can talk to. Health clinic?

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
In the humidifier put licorice root , tea tree oil , and tei fu oil. Stay calm. Rest.

A hospital will use steroids to clear the lungs. I , personally , would avoid this unless it's the only hope. Steroids and young children shouldn't mix.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am in the process of interviewing midwives, so I'll ask around. I will call my old midwife too. .. I'm mostly worried about myself.

We're pretty much at the beginning of this. Stage 1. I have no idea if Ursula turns blue while she coughs because the worst of the coughing is at night, and its dark. I keep listening carefully though. The coughing doesn't sound like the horrible "whooping" cough of Stage 2. I am hoping that we can avoid the most severe of the Stage 2 symptoms.

-- Adding oils to the humidifier! I have tea tree oil on hand. I'm not a licorice root kind of person. I have never heard of tei fu oil. I will definitely look that one up.

... It's taking me forever to choose a midwife. I might go into the Kaiser Permanente folks... where I have insurance for some initial visits. They can't force me to have medical care that I don't want, can they? I could at least ask some questions.

I think I am going to have the most problems. I already have an earache that is typical, and I want to make sure that I know how to look for pneumonia.

My baby (almost 1 year old, Anika) has the mildest symptoms. She is doing well with Herbs for Kids' product "Chamomile Calm." Ursula (almost 3) is taking "Echinacea/Eyebright". I am taking Echinacea Supreme (Gaia Herbs product). And, we are all taking "Notatum" some kind of homeopathic that works like an antibiotic. We started taking it last week when we had pinkeye, which is also a bacterial infection.

Are there any risks to "Munchkin"? Do I just need to be careful about hydration? I have a bunch of Emer-gen'C packets. They seem to help a lot.

I just hate to think that this is the "hundred days cough." I like to think that it is the "cough of enlightenment." I'm so tired already.

I am making "Garlic Lemonade," right now to sip on. That will be antibacterial too.

How can we avoid the most severe symptoms?

My family will be so angry that we didn't vax.. they already were, but now they'll be especially mad... My husband didn't agree that we shouldn't have vaccinated, and he was pretty angry at me when I told him today. The thought of avoiding 100 days of coughing with a vaccine... I told him that it is not safe or particularly effective, but he didn't believe me.

I have no regrets, except that I wish I didn't have the illness. I wish that I had gotten this illness as a young person, instead of getting now that my vaccine has totally worn out, while I am pregnant with young children. At least now I won't have to worry about getting it!

-- Caitlin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.