Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm brand new to diaper-making, and recently I've purchased around a dozen different types of fabric to experiment with making diapers. I've received my ProCare so I dutifully prewashed it (as my old home ec teacher made us promise to do with every fabric). I threw it in my FL washer (hot wash/cold rinse) and dried on hot along with some towels. I figured that's pretty close to diaper-washing conditions.

Anyway, when I pulled the ProCare out of the dryer, the fabric was noticeably softer, but there are a couple of spots where the laminate side seems a bit "melted" and there are holes. Uh...what gives? I thought this stuff was supposed to be more durable than PUL and able to withstand hundreds of industrial washes??
:

Does anyone have any experience with this fabric? I wanted to make some covers and AIOs (I'm experimenting with patterns too
), but now I'm not sure that I should even bother with the ProCare. Thanks for any help!

Kelly

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
it does become softer and loses that plastic-y smell, but I have not had this probelm, and I've used a ton of procare and still do. I use a lot of diapers made out of procare and have not had anything like this happen.
what do you mean there are holes?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup, the fabric is softer, but there are three or four places that seem like the laminate has "melted." I really don't know how else to describe it. At those melted spots, there are small holes (like maybe a baby's pinky nail in size). It almost looks as if a hot iron might have touched those spots, but the fabric was fine before I put it in the wash. My washer and dryer are the type that's supposed to be kind to clothes, so if the procare can't deal with a little prewash, I really wonder how it's going to stand up to diaper washing.

I'm wondering, do I go ahead and make a diaper with this stuff? I'd hate to waste my other materials if this is going to fall apart on me. I'm really so disappointed.

On a happy note - my Kool-Aid dyed, Very Baby Snug Wrap wool soakers are looking pretty cool.

Kelly

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I have some procare that I hated for diapers but it made a great wet bag. It goes in the washer and dryer almost every day (an hour in the dryer - I'm too lazy to pull it out sooner
) and it's shown no sign of wear.

I think yours must be defective. Can you send it back or at least email the seller? (can't think of the right word)

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I did email Wazoodle (where I got the ProCare), and I have to say, I think Lee Anne must have some of the best customer service around. She's given me some info on the fabric, and she's sending me replacement fabric. Great online shop! (NAVY - just wanted to let you folks know how it all turned out.)

Anyway, the word is, any poly fabric might melt in temps exceeding 250°. So, my take-home lesson is not to super-dry the ProCare in a hot dryer. I'll set it at a lower temp from now on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.