Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's kind of a long story but I will make it short as possible.

I'm 5 weeks pregnant (almost) and we had been trying to conceive our second. I've been really wanting to have this child be a home birth but because my daughter had IUGR and had an emergency induction (we didn't plan a home birth with her) my husband is very against it.

I've been wondering if I should call a midwife and ask her to interview with my husband regarding it or if I should talk to a doctor about it first?

I'm at a loss.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonnenuit View Post
It's kind of a long story but I will make it short as possible.

I'm 5 weeks pregnant (almost) and we had been trying to conceive our second. I've been really wanting to have this child be a home birth but because my daughter had IUGR and had an emergency induction (we didn't plan a home birth with her) my husband is very against it.

I've been wondering if I should call a midwife and ask her to interview with my husband regarding it or if I should talk to a doctor about it first?

I'm at a loss.
I know I'm a new member, and I'm on here looking for information, but I was in a similar situation.... as your husband. My wife and I had our 1st child in may of 2007, and we've just recently become pregnant with our 2nd child. After seeing how upset she was at our 1st birth experience, I'm more willing to do anything to make sure she has the experience she wants, and deserves. One thing for me, that really sealed the deal that I'd be willing to do a homebirth was "the business of being born" it took away almost any fears I'd had on what could, and would go wrong with a home birth. Try to get him to watch it and hopefully it will help bring him around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,823 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonnenuit View Post
It's kind of a long story but I will make it short as possible.

I'm 5 weeks pregnant (almost) and we had been trying to conceive our second. I've been really wanting to have this child be a home birth but because my daughter had IUGR and had an emergency induction (we didn't plan a home birth with her) my husband is very against it.

I've been wondering if I should call a midwife and ask her to interview with my husband regarding it or if I should talk to a doctor about it first?

I'm at a loss.
Can't you just do prenatal observation and if the baby has iugr signs cancel the hb??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by evolved View Post
I know I'm a new member, and I'm on here looking for information, but I was in a similar situation.... as your husband. My wife and I had our 1st child in may of 2007, and we've just recently become pregnant with our 2nd child. After seeing how upset she was at our 1st birth experience, I'm more willing to do anything to make sure she has the experience she wants, and deserves. One thing for me, that really sealed the deal that I'd be willing to do a homebirth was "the business of being born" it took away almost any fears I'd had on what could, and would go wrong with a home birth. Try to get him to watch it and hopefully it will help bring him around.
Thank you so much. It is nice to hear a male perspective. I considered watching the movie together, although I heard it ends in a hospital because of an emergency...so I was afraid to show him!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,279 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonnenuit View Post
It's kind of a long story but I will make it short as possible.

I'm 5 weeks pregnant (almost) and we had been trying to conceive our second. I've been really wanting to have this child be a home birth but because my daughter had IUGR and had an emergency induction (we didn't plan a home birth with her) my husband is very against it.

I've been wondering if I should call a midwife and ask her to interview with my husband regarding it or if I should talk to a doctor about it first?

I'm at a loss.
Have you talked to a midwife about whether or not you'd qualify for a homebirth? I'm not sure what constitutes "high risk" for a homebirth, but they do risk people out. I don't know any specifics about IUGR either, so this could be way off base, but would it be worth finding out before fighting the fight against your husband?

Just a thought...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by claddaghmom View Post
Can't you just do prenatal observation and if the baby has iugr signs cancel the hb??
That is what I have been suggesting. I think the OB I'm choosing is pretty pro HB. She's had all her children at home. I'm also nervous about asking her what she thinks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
Have you talked to a midwife about whether or not you'd qualify for a homebirth? I'm not sure what constitutes "high risk" for a homebirth, but they do risk people out. I don't know any specifics about IUGR either, so this could be way off base, but would it be worth finding out before fighting the fight against your husband?

Just a thought...
Well obviously I'm going to talk to her about it. I just wanted to wait until I was actually with child before I did it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
662 Posts
Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I agree with "evolved", BBOB was an eye-opener for my husband too.

Do you feel as though you understand what your DH's issues are? What is he afraid might happen? What worries him about home birth? What about hospital birth makes him feel safer?

I ask because, the situation you encountered with #1 might have been just the same with a homebirth midwife. My understanding is that HB midwives can diagnose or suspect IUGR, order ultrasounds if they see any signs for concern, and refer you to a hospital for induction or c/s if an emergency develops. I think there is a misconception that if you choose homebirth you are giving up the safety net of the hospital, but most midwives seem to look very carefully - throughout a pregnancy and labor - for risk factors and developments that would suggest you might be better off transfering to the hospital. That doesn't mean they are practicing defensive medicine like your average OB, it just means that they are vigilant and keeping safety in mind.

So, I wonder what is really going on in your DH's head?

I would try calling some midwives to interview. I think they are pretty used to reassuring the nervous husband. Your DH should get the opportunity to air all his concerns and ask all his questions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by meganmarie View Post
Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I agree with "evolved", BBOB was an eye-opener for my husband too.

Do you feel as though you understand what your DH's issues are? What is he afraid might happen? What worries him about home birth? What about hospital birth makes him feel safer?

I ask because, the situation you encountered with #1 might have been just the same with a homebirth midwife. My understanding is that HB midwives can diagnose or suspect IUGR, order ultrasounds if they see any signs for concern, and refer you to a hospital for induction or c/s if an emergency develops. I think there is a misconception that if you choose homebirth you are giving up the safety net of the hospital, but most midwives seem to look very carefully - throughout a pregnancy and labor - for risk factors and developments that would suggest you might be better off transfering to the hospital. That doesn't mean they are practicing defensive medicine like your average OB, it just means that they are vigilant and keeping safety in mind.

So, I wonder what is really going on in your DH's head?

I would try calling some midwives to interview. I think they are pretty used to reassuring the nervous husband. Your DH should get the opportunity to air all his concerns and ask all his questions.

Thanks for your reply. It was very insightful! I think his issue is that our first had the IUGR and he does indeed feel there is no hospital safety net with a midwife.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
662 Posts
Quote:
Thank you so much. It is nice to hear a male perspective. I considered watching the movie together, although I heard it ends in a hospital because of an emergency...so I was afraid to show him!
But this illustrates my point exactly. When Abby Epstein goes into labor too soon with a breech baby, the homebirth midwife checks her out and *knows* that they need to scrap the planned homebirth and travel to the hospital. They do, and the baby is fine. It is not at all a "failed" homebirth - it is an example of how emergencies that emerge in pregnancy and labor can be caught and moved to the right setting when needed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by meganmarie View Post
But this illustrates my point exactly. When Abby Epstein goes into labor too soon with a breech baby, the homebirth midwife checks her out and *knows* that they need to scrap the planned homebirth and travel to the hospital. They do, and the baby is fine. It is not at all a "failed" homebirth - it is an example of how emergencies that emerge in pregnancy and labor can be caught and moved to the right setting when needed.
I'll definatley borrow it. Actually I know the midwife offers people to rent it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by meganmarie View Post
But this illustrates my point exactly. When Abby Epstein goes into labor too soon with a breech baby, the homebirth midwife checks her out and *knows* that they need to scrap the planned homebirth and travel to the hospital. They do, and the baby is fine. It is not at all a "failed" homebirth - it is an example of how emergencies that emerge in pregnancy and labor can be caught and moved to the right setting when needed.
it's actually that scene that "sealed" my comfort with a home birth. It was reassuring to me to see that even in the instance of something "bad" that the midwife was quickly able to assess the situation and in the end everything turned out fine. I realize though that my wife and I are in a little different situation because it's our 2nd child, we want a VBAC, and we live an hour away from our chosen hospital.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by evolved View Post
it's actually that scene that "sealed" my comfort with a home birth. It was reassuring to me to see that even in the instance of something "bad" that the midwife was quickly able to assess the situation and in the end everything turned out fine. I realize though that my wife and I are in a little different situation because it's our 2nd child, we want a VBAC, and we live an hour away from our chosen hospital.
Oh I am glad to hear that!

I think the one thing Kyle is pro HB about is that I don't have to be too far away from my daughter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,826 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonnenuit View Post
I'll definatley borrow it. Actually I know the midwife offers people to rent it.
It's on Netflix for instant download...and I actually just saw a copy in our local Blockbuster!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,712 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by claddaghmom View Post
Can't you just do prenatal observation and if the baby has iugr signs cancel the hb??
:

this is what I was thinking too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
442 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by evolved View Post
One thing for me, that really sealed the deal that I'd be willing to do a homebirth was "the business of being born" it took away almost any fears I'd had on what could, and would go wrong with a home birth. Try to get him to watch it and hopefully it will help bring him around.
Watching "The Business of Being Born" with my husband is exactly what turned him around too. Yes, it ends with a hospital transfer for *one* of the births, but he said he found that reassuring, how quickly they were able to transfer.

I don't know, I think something just switched in him when he watched it. He just got it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,460 Posts
I don't know if this helps or hurts your case, but the reason for the transfer to hospital at the end of BOBB *is* b/c of IUGR, although they don't explain that very well in the film (that's the one thing that bugged me about it - the lack of explanation).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,442 Posts
My husband wasn't so sure about homebirth at first, but after talking to a homebirth midwife and asking her any and everything he wanted to- he is definitely for it now. Mostly he just wants to support me and whatever I want, but he also did have some valid questions and concerns that the midwife helped clear up. I think just meeting a few is helpful because they are just SO knowledgeable and understanding. They've had not so sure fathers many times I'm sure!

Good luck!!
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top