Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
And you should have them!

Not that you are asking but I recommend starting them from seed indoors about 4 weeks before your last frost date, if you can. They don't flower until mid to late summer so a head start is a good thing. Also, you probably already know that you should nick the hard seed coat for faster germination but from personal experience, be very careful! Let's just say I nearly needed stitches a time or two in the past.
Another thing is to not over fertilize them, tends to give you beautiful, humongous vines but not as many flowers.

I lurve moonflowers!!
: They really are absolutely magical. Each blossom lasts only one night, so keep an eye on those buds and be out there at dusk for your best show! I am always absolutely mesmerized by a moonflower blossom.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Me too.

One day I'm going to make a night garden (I used to call it my goth garden - I love the idea of a decked out goth person gardening! Yes, I used to be goth.)

One day...

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
I actually have the best luck direct sowing moonflowers. I roll them in a sheet of sandpaper, soak overnight, then poke into the ground around early May (zone 7a).

I don't grow them anymore (sticking to native vines), but they always came up and thrived with this method.
w

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jocelyndale View Post
I actually have the best luck direct sowing moonflowers. I roll them in a sheet of sandpaper, soak overnight, then poke into the ground around early May (zone 7a).
Ahhh, sandpaper! Brilliant! Why didn't I think of that? Could've saved me a lot of bloodshed!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Oh, and I didn't have much luck direct sowing. Well, they grew but I didn't get any flowers until September and then only a few. However, my zone was Michigan and that played a part, I am sure.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
This thread inspired me....I bought a packet of moonflower seeds the first day I saw it! Now I just need to get my newspaper pots rolled......

·
Premium Member
42,757 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by zmom View Post
Me too.

One day I'm going to make a night garden (I used to call it my goth garden - I love the idea of a decked out goth person gardening! Yes, I used to be goth.)

One day...
There are lots of articles on "moon gardens" and types of plants that work well and various tips.

I find it to be a really interesting concept.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
There are lots of articles on "moon gardens" and types of plants that work well and various tips.

I find it to be a really interesting concept.
I've looked it up before but it was long ago when I was living in an apartment. We're just about to buy our first house so soon I'll be able to plant my dark-time garden. There were lots of flowers that released scents at night or attracted bats or other night animals and some that bloomed in the night and even a few that seemed to glow! I'm very excited to get it done but it probably won't happen until next year or maybe the fall. We're concentrating on getting our veggie garden set up this year.

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
I've always wanted to plant moonflowers, but have a question for those who have grown them before. Do they reseed themselves year after year in a temperate climate? So, if I plant them this year, am I stuck with them for the next 20 years?

And aren't they poisonous?

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
I've always wanted to plant moonflowers, but have a question for those who have grown them before. Do they reseed themselves year after year in a temperate climate? So, if I plant them this year, am I stuck with them for the next 20 years?

And aren't they poisonous?
i don't know if they are poisonous i do know it is easy to pick the seed pods before they reseed so that shouldn't be a problem

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.