Mothering Forum banner

I want to quit using harsh chemicals!

579 views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  becoming 
#1 ·
We have the hardest water I have ever encountered in my LIFE! I have to scrub the sink every 3rd day because the water just leaves this residue of mineral deposits.

I use "The Works" and Kaboom to get rid of these stains. Leaving the stains is not an option because we are very neat and tidy people and like everything to be quite shiny. What I hate is that these cleaners make me cough from the fumes, and I feel like I waste a TON of water making sure it is rinsed off.

I have tried every combination of acid, baking soda... even more mild Borax... and nothing but these harsh chemicals work.

Any suggestions?

#2 ·
In Clean House, Clean Planet, the author states that "generally speaking, vinegar is too mild of an acid to be of real help in dissolving significant mineral deposits. But it can work to prevent deposits from building up."

So my only suggestion would be to clean out the sinks with vinegar more often to prevent the build up in the first place. You could keep a spray bottle near each sink with a vinegar solution, and spray it down as often as you could, like at least daily. You can scent it with your favorite essential oil if the smell bothers you.

#5 ·
We have ridiculously hard water. I've only tried in the toilet that had longstanding issues for serious staining and awful buildup, but I used a gallon of vinegar and let it sit overnight and that did the trick. Scrubbed right off in the morning with the toilet brush.

My friend swears by her pumice stick for hardwater buildup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.