Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My poor little doggie has an obstruction in her small intestine and she had to have emergency surgery today!<br><br>
She is a toy poodle (about 6 pounds) and loves to chew! Anyway, I took her to the vet at 2:30 - they established through x-ray that she had the blockage (the metal marble from the Mouse Trap game) and kept her.<br><br>
Since my vet doesn't monitor all night - they transferred her to an emergency vet hospital around 6 pm . Initially, I was relunctant to send her a) because she would be locked in a cage all night feeling like shit and b) because it would be an additional $300.....<br><br>
Anyway - (I know I'm rambling) - the hospital called at 7 to say she was there and to tell me to come by and pay the deposit. I let the individual know that I wanted to bring Lily's blanket and the T-shirt I sleep in. And also my kids and husband and I really wanted to see her. They advised that I come by around 8 pm.<br><br>
So I drag my kids and hubby out at 8 on a school night. I pay the $268.25 and note on the intake paper work that I must be notified before they charge me more. The receptionist never acknowledged me or was even cordial. Horrible front office staff. She pretty much just took my money and showed me to an exam room where she said they would bring Lily after they unhooked her. ????<br><br>
After 30 minutes, I inquired. I was told that everyone was busy with other patients and that no one was available to walk me back to Lily. I didn't get it at the time that it had changed from Lily coming out to me going back......<br><br>
Anyway - I finally forced out of the girl that it would be at least another 15 minutes. And that only one person could see her and the kids couldn't. They brought the Dr out to see me because I demanded to take her home. They kept insisting that they were so busy and that was the hold up. I told them that if they were too busy to show me common courtesy, then they were too busy to care for my dog!<br><br>
At this point - I got ugly. They told me to come at 8. I came at 8 and was told Lily would be brought to me. At 8:45 I was told I had wait another 15 minutes. And then only I could see her.<br><br>
I didn't ever raise my force or anything like that. But the total bitch in me came out.<br><br>
I told the Dr that the front office staff wasn't busy and commons<br>
curtesy should dictate that they keep me informed.<br><br>
I did end up apoligizing to the Dr for taking my frustrations out on him. But don't these people deal with stressed out pet owners all the time.<br><br>
I guess I'm just venting. I feel bad for flexing my muscle. They did treat me bad. But now I just wish I had said okay when they said it would be another 15 minutes........<br><br>
*Sigh* I just miss my little dog........

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm sorry about your dog and your bad experience at the emergency clinic.<br><br>
Yes, emergency clinics deal with stressed owners all of the time, but that doesn't make it easier. That's actually why I decided I couldn't do emergency work outside of our clinic - I end up taking on the owner's stress and worry and that's not good for the patient.<br><br>
It's reasonable to expect that they keep you informed of what was going on, but when they said they were busy, they likely had a bigger emergency - something that might die - that they were dealing with. That's usually when the doctors and staff get tunnel vision trying to get through that crisis. The good news (if you want to look at it that way) is that your own pet was stable, and that's why they could bump her needs to the back of the list.<br><br>
When they say 'unhook' they were talking about the fluids/catheter. She won't be allowed to take anything orally for a bit, so they'll keep her on fluids so she's hydrated.<br><br>
Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your dog. A marble is a weird thing to eat. Not even tasty.<br><br>
And don't worry about what happened tonight. Really, everyone who works at veterinary clinics understands that owners get stressed and worried.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I'm sorry your dog is going through this. I'm sure you are worried sick.<br><br>
It would have been nice if they'd told you upfront there was no need to take the kids out at bedtime...if it would help you feel better, you could take a box of chocolates or some bagels or something to the front office.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts