Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so depressed because I was really getting excited about trying a HVBAC, but just got a quote from the only midwife I can find in our area that does homebirths....$3,900. I wasn't expecting it to be that much. My hospital birth was under $400 including all prenatal appointments. I'm just not sure we can swing that. I don't know, I was thinking it might be more around $2,000 which would have been hard but we could have done it. I'm so depressed thinking about it. I feel like my choices have been taken away. Birth centers won't accept me and other midwives because it would be a VBAC with an "unproven pelvis". My husband was barely on board before...he was scared but supportive because I felt strongly about it trying for a VBAC and a homebirth seemed like the best way to achieve that...but now he says no way. Ugh.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Most midwives do payment plans so it would be broken up. What insurance do you have?

·
Registered
725 Posts
I agree with the other mamas...look into insurance covering it...I know mine will cover basically as much as it would if I were having a hospital birth(80%). Which in the long run will be less overall for them and me since my hb would be about $4000 out of pocket while a hospital birth would be at least $10,000 out of pocket(these totals are without any insurance coverage). Also talk with your midwife...most are more than willing to work with you or work out a payment plan.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Can you ask them if they have a sliding scale? My midwives do. They charge anywhere from $1800-$4000 depending on how much money you make. Also if you have any good tradable skills they may barter. Mine will do that as well. Hope you can find a way to work it out!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks mamas for the suggestions. I don't think insurance will cover it because from my understanding technically here in PA what the midwife is doing is illegal (practicing medicine without a license) because she is a CPM. I could be wrong of course because I don't know very much other than when someone in my playgroup who had this midwife for a homebirth had to transfer because her son was in distress, the midwife kind of freaked and was very adamant that she not mention the midwife's name or practice...which of course the woman wouldn't have. Anyway, I just kind of assumed insurance wouldn't cover something like that. I have Keystone Heath Plan East POS.

I will ask about the sliding scale. I am a SAHM and my husband is a youth pastor. He makes a decent wage for a youth pastor, but that is still not very much. Unfortunately we don't have very trade able skills....I used to be a teacher and could tutor her kids if they needed it, but she lives over and hour away and that would be a ton of driving. Maybe I can think of something else. Thanks for the suggestions. I think that my husband and I could make it work by really scrimping and saving even more (we already don't go out to eat/do paid entertainment and buy everything used)...but my husband doesn't think it worth giving everything everything up for something that could be dangerous (his words) because I am high risk because of my c-section. Thanks for your support ladies as we see if this is even possible.

·
Registered
317 Posts
We got an "out of network" exception and our insurance is covering it (well we had to pay the $1500 deductible). My MW does payment plans and she offers a lower cash price, if you are don't have insurance. GL to ya!

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
You likely could work out a payment plan with your midwife.

I'd pull some studies and stats for him (I'd also point out how hurt you are that he thought you are taking unnecessary risks with yourself and your child). It's not as if a uterine rupture doesn't happen with c-sections or even prior to going to the hospital at all.

Once you find a midwife she can talk to him which often helps. I think there is a VBAC group in the tribe

http://parenting.ivillage.com/pregna...,,j9gw,00.html

http://www.vbac.com/

http://www.homebirth.org.uk/
- You have a small risk - no more than 1 in 200 - that your scar might rupture. The effect of scar rupture can be devastating, and if it happened, you would need an emergency caesarean very quickly. On the other hand, a home birth probably maximises your chances of having a safe and intervention-free birth. Home birth may be right for you, but make sure your choice is informed - see the VBAC Pages.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
believe me, its worth it. my hbac cost me about $800 more than i anticipated but after having 2 c/s's (and one vbac) there was no amt. of $$ that could have made me go to a hospital.

if your dh's only objection is $$, you are really talking about a $2000 difference. i know its a lot of $$ but honestly, cant you budget it out of something else? if your dh is going to want you in the hospital for that much, i woudl be questioning his priorities.

also, is there any way you can sell some stuff? or maybe work at night for teh extra $$? ? i dont know...just anything to get the extra $$$.

good luck!

·
Registered
385 Posts
I feel for you...
I'm in PA too and paying 3900...

I am on Medicaid right now which will cover zilch in a homebirth situation (well, lab work..)
We had planned on adding me to dh's health plan at work when enrollment opened 1/1/09, but it will cost 800$/month!!!!!
out of the question...

it totally sucks, but this hb is going on the credit card!

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Definitely talk to the midwives. Most are willing to do a sliding scale. My midwife said she never wants someone to turn down a homebirth because of money. If you can swing $2000, tell your midwife that, and she might just let you do that.

My DH gawked a bit at the price of my midwife going up a bit since last time, but having done a hospital birth (vaginal) and an out-of-hospital birth, DH agrees that it's worth the money to use the midwife. Even HE enjoyed my last birth so much more, plus he saw that I was in less pain.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.