Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I came to the decsion to quit cloth diapering after a year. Kimberly has been having rashes one after another. My electric since Ive been doing this went up a 100.00 a month I feel like Iam not saving any money on diapering with my electric bills being that high. And I could not find a night time diapering system that worked for us all the pocket diapers Ive tried leaked and would smell so bad it would knock you out.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
I can see where it would increase your bill if you don't use Quick Dry diapers.
I use all quick dry. Normally I line dry, but on the occassions that I dry the in the dryer it takes a whole cycle so I'm sure that regular diapers take much longer to dry!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Maybe I just have a really good dryer....it was one of the cheaper ones at Sears though. I almost always dry all my dipes (cept for pockets) and it takes me two cycles to get them all dry. I wonder if the electric company is giving me a break.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Well you'll certainly be missed! I"m sorry it's not working for you guys. Gosh having a painful rash on the bum would not be fun.

I'm surprised your bill is that much higher. Are you sure it's not AC or something? We didin't notice a jump at all.

Best wishes

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Everyone has to do what's best for their family and their baby-- I don't think anyone here is so arrogant as to presume that cloth is best for all babies in all situations.

I am sorry that it didn't work for you; it sounds like you went through a lot to try to fix the issues you had.

As someone who started out CDing, then switched to sposies, then switched back 6 months later, I can authoritatively say that different things work at different times.

Karla

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Before I started cloth diapering my electric bills were 120.00 and that is with the ac running all the time. then when I started to cloth diaper in Oct I notticed a jump in my electric bill from 120.00 to 175.00 and its been like that every since. there was a month were I didnt cloth diaper and my electric bill went back down to about a 100.00.

·
Banned
1,131 Posts
I'm sorry that it didn't work out for you. Dude, don't feel like you need to give out your finances on line and all! Your entitled to change your mind for whatever reason, but especially when it's in the best interest of your babe. Hope your little babe's bum heals quick regardless of how you cover it.

But seriously, is it a yeast rash? I've read in the book: "smart medicine for a healthier child" that if it's a candida yeast diaper rash that probiotic supplements of Lactobacillus Acidophilus or Bifidobaterium bifidus can clear it up quickly. They're just supplements that you can find in your healthfood store or even in the vitamin aisle of your grocery store. Also a warm bath with calendula or chamomile helps too.

Any other ideas ladies?! We've got a sore baby here that needs help!

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
I'm really surprised at your electric bill! I've never noticed a difference and I always dry the diapers in the dryer.

You will be missed!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Hi Christina,

We'll really miss you. I'm sorry that cloth wasn't working out for you and your baby. Do what's best for both and you won't be sorry.

Also, if you do change your mind, you know you're always welcome to come back. There just might be a night system that works for you that you don't know about yet.

Bummer, about the electric. I'm sure a lot has to do with where you live. Electric is so expensive in some areas (like here in NJ).

Enjoy your baby! That's the point!

·
Registered
827 Posts
Im right there with you on the electric bill but since the no hemp thing....YAYYYYYYY soon we can save some money.... line dry and then toss em in the dryer to fulff em....Im sooo looking foward to that...

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I'm totally with you on the electric thing...... although I'm NOT washing diapers yet!
A friend of mine who lives in another city (about 45 minutes from me) who doesn't have a washer dryer, pays $23 per month - our bill is OVER $80 a month and its three of us - NO DIAPERS YET....

Its scary!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Our gas bill jumped pretty drastically with CDing, too. I figure it's because I never used hot water for laundry before I started doing CDs. That along with the extra drying had to be what kills us.

Fortunately I just love it too much to turn back, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

·
Premium Member
12,839 Posts
You will be missed, Christina. I hope the rash clears up. I know electric is more expensive in some areas. Ours didn't go up that much with cd-ing, but I know it depends on your dryer and a lot of things.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Dont feel bad, just feel glad that today at least we have a choice between cloth and disposables. You've tried one and can now use the other on an informed basis.

I really think for a lot of people the main reason for using cloth has to be just because they like it and not because it saves heaps and heaps of money in the long run - for me Im sure it doesnt even though Im nowhere near hyena status, my dryer is going absolutely all the time, and I never used hot water for laundry before. I've paid hundreds of non reclaimable dollars in airmail costs and lost on the exchange rate.

But at least, once you sell your stash you will not have actually lost money. You've given it a try and it didnt work for you. Now you can enjoy without guilt all the great things about disposable diapering - the convenience, trimness, lack of laundry, even while you may miss the good things about cloth. And I really think the health issues with disposables are only of equal concern to your daughter having a blistered sore bottom all the time.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just a thought here, but you may want to give it a month without doing diapers on your electric bill and see if it really is your diapers causing the problem. I recently went through the same problem. My DH had an extra fridge in the garage and we have a deep freezer, I unplugged both thinking that was the problem but our electric bill went up even higher the next month! We live in TX so the heat has been bad and that is causing the AC to run more. So just a thought, why not give a month, take a break, and see what happens. Maybe you will feel differently after a break

Michelle

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the replys I think Kimberly has her first yeast rash how do you get rid of it? it has a blister on the pimple. anyways I think Iam going to see if it is the cloth that is making my electric bill go sky high or not. so Iam going to use disposiables for a month and if my electric bill is still about the same Iwill go back to cloth I really loved cloth diapering. so Iam really going to miss it alot.

Christina

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have had lots of luck getting rid of Thomas' yeast rash using tea tree oil. I just added a few drops of it to some water, adn that's what I've been using as a wipe solution. 3 days later, and it's hardly there. We had been using the Nystatin cream for 10 days, adn nothing
:

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'm sorry that things have not worked out for you. I'm very lucky my son has never been prone to rashes in disposables or cloth. For all night we use a With Love Diapers AIO (with PUL) with a prefold and a doubler for extra absorption. This works better than disposables did!

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by squishy_28
Thanks for the replys I think Kimberly has her first yeast rash how do you get rid of it? it has a blister on the pimple.
It sounds like what a yeast rash looks like. If you want to go the pharmeceutical route, then any of the creams designed for athletes foot usually take care of it in about 3 days - keep using it for a day or 2 after it is gone. TTO would and acidophilus would work too, but I would dilute the TTO. With a rash like that it could hurt! If it is yeast, a change to disposables probably won't cure the problem. However, your utilities are outrageous! Hope you get to the bottom of it.

If you change your mind, come on back and I'm sure we can work out your stinky fleece problems!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts