Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I sent an email to the reporter questioning the school nurse in the chicken pox vaccine story and got a lame reply. Thought about it and decided that maybe the district superintendent would be a better person to vent against! We're not even in this particular district (and, we homeschool, as well!), but they don't know that! Here's my letter:

XXX XXXXX
Superintendent

Hello,

I have read the recent Spokane Spokesman-Review article, "Washington mandates chicken pox vaccinations" in the July 24, 2006 edition of the S-R.

It regards the new vaccination requirement and had multiple quotes from various individuals on the subject. The article actually mentioned that the state of Washington DOES allow children exemptions from vaccination. This is the first time I have read a S-R vaccination-related article that acknowledges this legal fact. (How refreshing!)

Several of the comments were from private individuals on the subject, as well as commentary from members of public health agencies and a school nurse.

About that school nurse. I have a question that I wish you would ask your employee, Nancy ******, regarding her comments in this article as a representative of the school district:

Quote:
"But in Adams County, longtime school nurse Nancy ****** knows exactly why exemptions there are so low.

"They just do what Nurse Nancy says," she said. "The biggest problem I have is kids coming from other states. I just say they can't come to school unless they have that shot. They get it the next day."

******, who has spent 20 years serving Washtucna schools, said some districts might allow parents to exempt themselves because signing a form is more convenient than looking up vaccination records.

"We don't even say it's an option," she said. "And it doesn't even occur to them.""
I don't see how Nurse Nancy would be able to hide the fact that exemptions exist when she is legally-bound to collect this form for each student to keep on file in their school, preschool or daycare:

Quote:
http://www.doh.wa.gov/cfh/Immunize/documents/Cis06.pdf

CERTIFICATE OF IMMUNIZATION STATUS:
It clearly states:

Quote:
Washington State Law (RCW 28A.210.160) requires that all children have a completed Certificate of Immunization Status on file at the school, preschool or a child care facility that they attend.
Listed in bold print and in easy-to-understand language on the Certificate is:

Quote:
Statement of Exemption to Immunization Law

NOTICE: Your Child can be exempted (excused) from immunization for medical, personal or religious reasons. However, if there is an outbreak of a vaccine-preventable disease that your child has not been immunized against, she or he can be excluded from school, preschool or child care until the outbreak is over.
There is an area for the parent/guardian to fill-out for exemptions where they can explain which, any or all, vaccines they do NOT wish their child receive:

Quote:
I am opposed to immunization. I understand that my child can be excluded from attendance during an outbreak. I do not want my child to receive the following vaccine(s):...
If "Nurse Nancy" is doing her job correctly and following the state law, she should be receiving consent forms from each child SIGNED by their parents/guardians. In which case, the parents/guardians have read the form and are aware of the exemption allowance/option.

Her comment: "I just say they can't come to school unless they have that shot" is a complete and utter LIE.

It is coercive and threatening.

Nancy ****** does not make state policy and does not have the power to adjust it to suit her personal priorities or beliefs. Her job is abide by that law and, as a health care provider, present both the benefits and the risks of vaccines as well as the options that ARE their legal right. She cannot simply demand that students be vaccinated or be refused entrance to school.

The state of Washington allows, as mentioned in the article, medical, personal and religious exemptions to ALL students in Washington public schools.

NO child is required to be vaccinated for admittance to public schools in this state. (Non-vaccinated students can be excluded from attending class, but only during an outbreak of specific illnesses.) Medical exemptions require a physician's signature. However, personal and religious exemptions need only the parent's signatures. By Federal law, questions about the religious beliefs of the person or their family are illegal.

Nancy ******'s bold-faced (and smugly worded) lie makes one wonder what other false declarations she may be making to the students AND parents of the school district. What possibly illegal questions she may be asking either a prospective student or their parent(s).

Are you, as her superiors, aware of her spreading false information not only to local students and parents, but to the surrounding community and beyond (via such quotes in the Spokesman-Review)? Do you condone such deceptions?

Please do us the favor of asking Ms. ****** about her comments.

Sincerely,

LS

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
I like your letter. Did you send it to the Spokesman?

ETA I missed that you sent it to the reporter. Did you submit a letter to the editor?

·
Registered
10,468 Posts
OMG! They just do what Nurse Nancy says?
:
: That whole thing from her sounds like a cheesey adult film.

I am glad you wrote that letter.
I hope you get a somewhat intelligent response from it as well. Be careful though, they might sick Nurse Nancy on you!
I am sorry. I am not making fun of the issue, just her.
:

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
Wow, that's actually pretty frightening. If I didn't have MDC & I read that article, I would feel compelled either to home school or compromise my principles & COMPLY. WOW I hope for a huge retraction in the form of another article and a letter handed out to parents when they p/u their school supply lists.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I worked in the school system for too long. Day in and day out I saw what the nurses did. They were constantly (and I mean constantly) going over shot records, looking in files, tracking down parents, sending home letters, bringing students in their office all in the name of "getting up to date with immunizations." I know they never saw it this way but they were simply re-enforcers of the pharmaceutical/medical industry. I never once heard them tell anyone that there were exemptions. It was ALWAYS "your child NEEDS to get his/her shots up to date" (the letters sent home were ALWAYS written with a "you must do this" attitude).

The nurses truly, truly, truly believed they were helping the child and making the school a safe place. They believed they were preventing "deadly outbreaks." The nurses would POST LETTERS IN THE HALLWAY stating the flu was on the way and EVERYONE (teachers incluced) needed to get "their shots." Teachers would line up like good little drones. I distinctly remember that "flu outbreaks" would occur right AFTER the shots were administered (but the fever and aches and pains weren't really the flu they were just "the vaccine working by building up the immune system").

I remember a severely vaccine-injured child's mother making the comment "if I had known what that shot was going to do to my son I would have never done it" in front of the school nurse. I kid you not, the nurse just ducked her head and turned away.

·
Registered
10,468 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scattershoot
I remember a severely vaccine-injured child's mother making the comment "if I had known what that shot was going to do to my son I would have never done it" in front of the school nurse. I kid you not, the nurse just ducked her head and turned away.

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
I noticed in the link you provided to the PDF file that the exemption form is on page 2. I wonder if page 2 is even given to the parents unless they know to ask for it.

---------------------
edited for typo

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
Yeah our school nurse even started a free shot clinic at the hospital. She SO passionately believes in vax. And, I had a severely vax damaged child in my class & she wrote it off b/c that form of the vax is no longer given. Whoops, live & learn & protect the herd...

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fyrestorm
I noticed in the link you provided to the PDF file that the exemption form is on page 2. I wonder if page 2 is even given to the parents unless they know to ask for it.

---------------------
edited for typo
I was only given page one by a daycare I visited. I assumed it was the governments mistake at not printing the form double sided. You are probably right if they print two physical pages they probably "forget" to give the other one to the parent. Kind of sad actually because I wonder how many people would change their minds about vaccinations if they understood they have a choice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts