Mothering Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm hoping to discuss an exchange between the great Ms Carolyn and Alison Singer concerning the "science" that supports the idea that vaccines do not cause autism and the evidence that they do.

Regarding regressive autism, modern day science has no causal explanation beyond genetics and better diagnosis.

"All of these children were just born this way" or "All of these children have always been a part of our society, we just haven't recognized them, or given them adequate awareness".

My personal opinion is that OF COURSE Singer doesn't want the studies that claim that vaccines do not cause autism "messaged better" because she knows they would have to be scrutinized better. The exchange begins 3:40:01ish :)

https://videocast.nih.gov/Summary.asp?Live=19333&bhcp=1

·
Registered
18,820 Posts
Well, I went to 3:40 and didn't find the right exchange.

I'd love to discuss this, but need more help finding the right section.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
If there's a transcript somewhere, I might be able to participate.

Sus

Reactions: Anne Jividen

·
Registered
18,820 Posts

·
Registered
2,928 Posts

·
Registered
18,820 Posts
Deborah, you make me think every thinking household needs its own librarian! <insert lovey emoji>

Sus
There are many thousands of public librarians across the US who would love to help you out!

I think librarian skills are fairly handy. In addition to search skills we master:

problem solving on the fly
figuring out how to carry out complex operations with inadequate tools and staff
people skills
space management skills
and lots more.

The last few weeks we've been doing an inventory of my small public library. First I tried using the inventory tool that is included in our library catalog. Not helpful. Then I worked out that checking in every book in the library and then running reports on what hadn't been checked in by a certain date would make it possible to figure out what is here and what isn't here. Turned out to be a great solution. We are also tracking down some of the long overdue items (a few turned out to be on the shelf, oh well), finding materials that have cataloging errors (barcode in the wrong field), finding materials that are physically in the right place but have an incorrect location in the catalog (biographies that are marked adult non-fiction) and so on.

The main skill I'm missing is SQL coding for reports. That would be a real timesaver, but I've taken two classes and I just don't get it well enough to write reports from scratch. So I use other people's reports and adapt them.

I hope public libraries survive a bit longer. They are an incredible resource.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
So I'm hoping to discuss an exchange between the great Ms Carolyn and Alison Singer concerning the "science" that supports the idea that vaccines do not cause autism and the evidence that they do.

Regarding regressive autism, modern day science has no causal explanation beyond genetics and better diagnosis.

"All of these children were just born this way" or "All of these children have always been a part of our society, we just haven't recognized them, or given them adequate awareness".

My personal opinion is that OF COURSE Singer doesn't want the studies that claim that vaccines do not cause autism "messaged better" because she knows they would have to be scrutinized better. The exchange begins 3:40:01ish :)

https://videocast.nih.gov/Summary.asp?Live=19333&bhcp=1
I am baffled by the so called proof.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very Sorry! July 19th's IACC meeting was linked in the comment section of an autism advocacy group i am very found of - not everyone else so much which i want to respect. It's a six+ hour meeting and I apologize again, I thought I got the time demarcation right. I do not know where the transcript might be located, for the third time SO sorry! Let me regroup and make a better comment. Thx for the participation, and not to sound too obsequious, but God bless the librarians of the world!!!!! :grin:

·
Registered
18,820 Posts
Very Sorry! July 19th's IACC meeting was linked in the comment section of an autism advocacy group i am very found of - not everyone else so much which i want to respect. It's a six+ hour meeting and I apologize again, I thought I got the time demarcation right. I do not know where the transcript might be located, for the third time SO sorry! Let me regroup and make a better comment. Thx for the participation, and not to sound too obsequious, but God bless the librarians of the world!!!!! :grin:
Well, I did find the transcripts of the comments, but I don't think they have transcripts of whatever it was that Singer said.

Reactions: Anne Jividen
1 - 11 of 11 Posts