Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone sent me a link about IBC.....something about breastcancer? The link doesn't work. What the heck is all the fuss about?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe
Someone sent me a link about IBC.....something about breastcancer? The link doesn't work. What the heck is all the fuss about?
The fuss is about not having a lump and being diagnosed with breast cancer.
I have IBC. Today is my one year celebration of survivorship. IBC grows in sheets and is often diagnosed as mastitis or plugged ducts. Many times it doesn't get caught until it metastasizes into other organs (bones, liver, brain, colon). I was diagnosed as 3b (locally advanced into my lymph nodes) last year. I've undergone 4 mos of chemo, a mastectomy of my right breast, more chemo, radiation and now I'm in full remission and on herceptin.

Do not take this lightly. IBC is fast growing, and deadly. Please visit www.ibcresearch.org for more information. Or watch the video on this site http://www.komotv.com/ibc/
I had to wean cold turkey this time last year and I was pregnant.

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do they have any ideas as to any risk factors? Are they the same as the other breast cancer?

The Komo link never worked for me but I kept getting emails about it. That's why I was wondering why everyone was emailing me. Thanks for answering my question.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Risk factors are the same. I am the first in my generation/family to have cancer. I ebf until my first day of chemo last year.

There's no telling. So many things are carcinogens. I try to avoid most of them, but I have to live my life. I wish I could be more help. It was a complete shock to us. I had no symptoms of mastitis or plugged duct. My son quit nursing on that side and I tried everything (LLL and LC) to no avail when I finally met with an OB who scheduled me for a mammo and a surgical consult.

It sucks. Incurable but something that can be dealt with.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
bubbysmom, I have to ask, how did they figure it out? Is it visible on a mammogram? what types of symptoms were you having and what led them to test for IBC?

I have had a breast that seems habitually *plugged* since the birth of my dd (she's 17 months now) While I was nursing I didn't think much of it... it wasn't painful, just like plugged ducts or something. I did go to my doc about it and she said the same thing.. plugged ducts, common after pregnancy, don't worry about it. I haven't been nursing now for 4 months and I still have the little lumps! I went back to the doc and she told me that my breast is just very dense... but she seemed adamant that nothing was wrong because she couldn't feel a lump that would signal breast cancer. I still thought it was odd but I dropped it....

So I'm just wondering what type of tests they ran to uncover it, in case I need to go back in and ask for something specifically.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Bubbysmom,
My aunt is currently in remission as well. Congratulations on one year, and P&PT going your way...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by apple_dumpling
bubbysmom, I have to ask, how did they figure it out? Is it visible on a mammogram? what types of symptoms were you having and what led them to test for IBC?

I have had a breast that seems habitually *plugged* since the birth of my dd (she's 17 months now) While I was nursing I didn't think much of it... it wasn't painful, just like plugged ducts or something. I did go to my doc about it and she said the same thing.. plugged ducts, common after pregnancy, don't worry about it. I haven't been nursing now for 4 months and I still have the little lumps! I went back to the doc and she told me that my breast is just very dense... but she seemed adamant that nothing was wrong because she couldn't feel a lump that would signal breast cancer. I still thought it was odd but I dropped it....

So I'm just wondering what type of tests they ran to uncover it, in case I need to go back in and ask for something specifically.
a biopsy is the only way to confirm IBC.

thanks for the prayers. i'll take all of them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts