Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an ice cream maker as a gift for the kids for Easter. I want to make some really good soy ice cream. Anyone have any good recipes? I found a few on vegweb that I want to try, but I'd love some other ideas
:
Nothing with bananas though

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
You came to the right place -- I have a book coming out on just that. Tell me some flavors you like and I'll post a few . . . .

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Okay here's a few (book comes out next month!)

Strawberry Ice Cream
Makes 1 quart
Strawberries are abundant where we live on the central coast of California, so this is a flavor we make often. It's best with really red, ripe berries.

2 1/2 cups halved strawberries
1 (14-ounce can) full-fat coconut milk
1/2 cup granulated sugar or agave syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Combine all of the ingredients in a blender and process until smooth. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. Then freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's directions.

Here's one chocolate but I also have a regular chocolate made with coconut milk and (my favorite) Chocolate Raspberry -- it tastes like a truffle!

Chocolate Mousse Ice Cream
Makes 1 quart
This luscious ice cream is made without coconut milk but is still extremely rich and very chocolaty. This is what I serve when I host a Moms' Night Out at my house.

1 1/2 cups chocolate rice milk or soymilk
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (one 10-ounce package)
1 (12-ounce) package firm silken tofu
3 tablespoons Amaretto liqueur
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract

Pour the rice milk into a small saucepan and warm on low heat until it just begins to simmer. Remove from the heat, add the chocolate chips, and whisk until they are melted and the mixture is smooth. Transfer to a blender or food processor and add the tofu, liqueur, and extracts. Process until smooth. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. Then freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's directions.

Mango Sorbet
Makes 1 quart
This sorbet is sweet and creamy-more like ice cream than sorbet.

3 cups peeled and diced mango
Juice of 1 lemon
1 cup cold water
1/3 cup granulated sugar or agave syrup

Combine the mango and lemon juice in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Pour the mango mixture into a blender, add the water and sugar, and process until smooth. Taste and add additional sugar, if necessary. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's directions.

Peanut Butter Ice Cream
Makes 1 generous quart
This is a flavor kids love-especially when it is marbled with fudge sauce or jam, as in the variations that follow.

1 (14-ounce) can full-fat coconut milk
1 cup soymilk or other nondairy milk
1/2 cup granulated sugar or agave syrup
6 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup chopped roasted peanuts (salted or unsalted; optional)

Place the coconut milk, soymilk, sugar, and peanut butter in a medium bowl and whisk until well combined. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. Then freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's directions.
About 5 minutes before the end of the freezing time, when the ice cream is almost to the firmness you desire, add the optional peanuts. Process for 5 more minutes, or until the ice cream reaches the desired consistency.

Peanut Butter-Chocolate Chip Ice Cream: Add 1/2 cup of mini dark or semisweet chocolate chips or chopped chocolate instead of the chopped peanuts.
Peanut Butter-Fudge Marble Ice Cream: Follow the directions for Vanilla-Fudge Marble Ice Cream (p. XX), but use Peanut Butter Ice Cream instead of the vanilla base.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Chocolate Ice Cream
Makes 1 quart
Chocolate ice cream was one of my biggest challenges. It had to be rich, creamy, smooth, and very chocolaty. This is it!

1 1/4 cups soymilk or other nondairy milk
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
3 ounces dark chocolate
3 ounces semisweet chocolate
1 (14-ounce) can full-fat coconut milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Combine the soymilk, sugar, and cocoa powder in a medium saucepan and whisk until smooth. Warm on medium heat until the soymilk begins to simmer. Remove from the heat.
Put the dark and semisweet chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Pour the hot soymilk mixture over the chocolate and stir until smooth. Whisk in the coconut milk and vanilla extract. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours. Then freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's directions.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Check out my blog for more recipes and pictures . . .

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
They are surprisingly not that expensive -- and I know mine has paid for itself many times over. Commerical nondairy ice cream is very pricey . . .

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Ok, I am so getting this book. My dd is allergic to so many things dairy being one of them. She is going to get to the age where she wants a treat too, and I would like something as well as I have to restrict my diet while she is still nursing. The commercial non dairy ice creams have so many ingredients they are sure to contain something that she is allergic to. So nice to have the option of making her a treat made from real foods and not chemicals! I have to get an ic maker. I am sure that with the price of those non dairy ics buying a maker is going to be more than worth it!!

·
Registered
314 Posts
: My co-worker saw me looking at ice-cream makers online yesterday and said she had one collecting dust!! She brought it in today and I got a Cuisinart ICE-20 for $20 (retail $50 I believe). She only used it twice so it's like new!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.