Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
You need some sugar to get it to be soft enough to scoop. Otherwise, no matter how much air you beat into it, it'll be a brick. The sugar forms a syrup that doesn't freeze, and the fat globules become suspended in that syrup, kind of like a matrix. The more sugar, the better the consistancy.

I've experimented with using lower ratios of sugar, and found that the least I can use and still get a respectable texture is 2 tablespoons of sugar (or maple syrup) to 1 qt liquid. I would then use 6 tablespoons of stevia for the rest of the sweetener. If you're making a French (custard) style ice cream, add the stevia after cooking the custard, it'll become bitter if you cook it.

You can find a million recipes online for ice creams, they all fall into one of two catagories. In French, or custard, styles, the milk and cream are cooked with an egg into a custard, then cooled before churning. Philadelphia styles are uncooked and do not contain egg. Both are good, the Philadelphia style is obviously much easier.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Mix very ripe (brown speckled) mashed bananas with nut milk and a bit of maple syrup and vanilla.

Healthy and soooooooo good..... you wont miss your dairy/sugar junk at all!

Add carob for chocolate ice cream
or
Add a scoop of peanut butter...
or strawberried and blueberries?
pineapple is good too...

Run it all through the ice cream maker.

The possibilities are endless!

experiment!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.