Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an ice cream maker and would like to find a good ice milk or lowfat ice cream recipe - preferably vanilla, but I'll take anything that's good! It seems like all the recipes that I'm finding use heavy cream or half and half.

TIA!

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
425lisamarie - I'm actually trying to make it as healthy as possible.......for ice cream!
I have good ideas on using natural sugar substitutes, but not so much on getting the right consistency by elminating a lot of the fat.

ksmeadowlark - I'm looking up that recipe right now! Thanks! That's good to know about being able to keep it in the freezer for a bit. Other batches that I've made didn't hold up so well over time.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
oh gotcha....do you ever watch food network? Alton brown has really good ideas about ice cream, and you could just use substitute for white sugar. The only thing I've noticed is if I do try to use too little sugar, it's not creamy at all. And you are right, if you use too much heavy heavy cream, it's like butter. I've beat the cream eggs and sugar together with a stick blender, then add all the milk just to mix together and it comes out really soft, I think it's the air in it

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I'm not big on low fat versions of real food, but here's my general ice cream recipe:
3 cups any kind of milk or cream. I use whatever is on hand. Raw cream is ideal for us! Coconut milk also works.
half cup rapadura, honey, maple syrup, agave or other sweetener of choice
1tsp vanilla
optional: egg yolk or two
optional: flavoring (cocoa powder? strawberries? coffee/teechino? other fruit?)
blend together and put in ice cream maker. Yum!

For some of us, quality cream and eggs from pastured chickens make it healthier than a lowfat version! Either way, you can't mess up milk/cream and sugar mixed together. Even if not perfect, it'll still be yummy! Enjoy experimenting to find your perfect recipe...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.