Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on Reddit this morning when I saw a thread about the new report on how wonderful the HPV vaccine has been.

Someone made a comment about SV-40 and how it was too bad that many people had been exposed to possible cancer causing agents. Then someone replied with this...

I dunno, ever seen what polio does to you? If I have to choose risk of cancer vs risk of polio, I'd choose the former every time.
Made me do a double take for sure. I wonder if this person has any idea how Polio works, or perhaps they're under the impression that upon diagnosis you are immediately whisked into an iron lung for the rest of your life?

It made me think how uneducated people can be about an issue, even when they're staunchly on one side of it.

·
Registered
24,726 Posts
Another reason everyone should have a CHOICE, however ill-informed or unscientific.

If the choice is cancer or polio, and she wants cancer, let her have it. Her body, her choice.

For me, I choose no vaccine.

As Dr. Mendelsohn said many times, "If this is preventive medicine, I will take my chances with disease."

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I was on Reddit this morning when I saw a thread about the new report on how wonderful the HPV vaccine has been.

Someone made a comment about SV-40 and how it was too bad that many people had been exposed to possible cancer causing agents. Then someone replied with this...

Made me do a double take for sure. I wonder if this person has any idea how Polio works, or perhaps they're under the impression that upon diagnosis you are immediately whisked into an iron lung for the rest of your life?

It made me think how uneducated people can be about an issue, even when they're staunchly on one side of it.
Lol, I read the same thing this morning! SMH.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Unfortunately, a lot of the new generation of parents have the SAME ideas about chicken pox...they are seriously terrified beyond exaggeration about their child dying from it.
I just talked to a mom whose child suffers from atopic eczema. She got the cp vaccine esp because he has atopic eczema. The doc told her that should the kid get cp it would make the atopic eczema worse.

Has anyone ever heard of that? Would cp really aggrevate a skin condition? I would have said it is rather the other way around - cp + fever would help clear it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I just talked to a mom whose child suffers from atopic eczema. She got the cp vaccine esp because he has atopic eczema. The doc told her that should the kid get cp it would make the atopic eczema worse.

Has anyone ever heard of that? Would cp really aggrevate a skin condition? I would have said it is rather the other way around - cp + fever would help clear it.
I don't know about chicken pox, but I have read anecdotes that naturally acquired measles cleared certain chronic skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts