Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
is it bad, that I get angry reading that because we don't value male infants in the same way?

I mean.... yes it is horrible, but america would be laughing if it was a boy losing his foreskin and saying 'poor kid' if a complication happened and he lost his glans.

But the doctor would not be sent to jail for cutting the head of a penis off....

Human rights violations violate humans. Very sad for this poor little girl but I wish the same feelings were felt towards our boys in america and we feel for this girl.

IF the dad is guilty, I hope he gets max sentance. Just as I wish every doctor who cuts a boy should get 40 years too.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
good point... and if that girl was still in her country of origin, there wouldnt be anyone sticking up for her rights either. Too bad its too late for her. I can only imageine the phycological damage. I am SO GLAD my baby boy is intact. His father almost talked me into having it done, but in the end he left it up to me. Now Dad is co-sleeping, cloth diapering and responding to every cry!!!

I wonder if someday it will change and circs wont be the norm in America? Its so childish of me to say it, but "Its just stupid!"

·
Registered
92 Posts
I was just coming to post this but you beat me to it
I think it's amazing that FGM is a crime, but MGM is not.
: The fact that cultural & religious issues comes in to place leads me to believe that eventually it may further the cause of stopping MGM. I'm hopeful anyway.

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
Ugh. They make FGM sould soooooo very horrible (which it is) but MGM is fine. Why the difference? Why do we not protect boys?
I guess the "anti-mutilation law" in Georgia does not apply to males.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
The double standard is horrible...but atleast we as a culture are startting to have open dialogue.
If FGM was a western held value, believed by Victorian Europeans to be beneficial, this man would be on trial for not having it done in a hospital. Because it is different, and new to us it's easier for us to see how wrong it is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts