Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're planning to homeschool (most likely unschool) and trying to figure out when to have #2. Simon is currently 19 months old. At least for tonight, we like the idea of speeding things up rather than waiting until he is 4 for the birth of #2 as had been our original plan. The reasons for bumping things up are primarily practical. Anyway... would a lesser age difference (about 2.5 years) make homeschooling more difficult? Less difficult? No difference? I know that it will depend on the children... but I'm looking to see how other people have experienced different age gaps.

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
there is no ideal age span. Each kid is different, with different temperments, etc.
We have two that are 21 months apart, and the second two are almost 3 years apart. Honestly, the smaller gap is easier for us because those two can be "lumped" together and learn the same thing. We werent ever dealing with the older one wanting to do serious studying while the younger one was a clingy toddler. The spot when my oldest was about 3 and my youngest was about a year was super tough, but we werent homeschooling yet. With the littlest one, there has definitely been more challenges, keeping him occupied while the other two are learning. But, at the same time, his learning is accelerated, and his brothers are able to be more helpful with him, because they can do more bc they are older

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
I have the 'have them sooner than later' mindframe. I see how busy things are with ds, now 18 months and a pretty mellow guy but still, to sit down and do something more complex with dd (almost 4) would be difficult. We are probably going to have one more dc, and I'm thinking about starting to try when ds is around 2.

Of course I think a lot depends on your homeschooling philosophy. I think we are pretty much unschoolers at heart, so especially in the early years we aren't going to be doing formal book learning. If you were going to take a more formal approach however, I'd think you would definitely want to have all your children sooner than later!

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
I think it really depends on the individual children. My DS (6 1/2) is very bright and interested but my DD (4) is already beginning to read and we think it's possible that in some ways, she will catch up to her 2 1/2 year older brother.

I don't know...I think every age difference between siblings is the perfect age difference for homeschooling.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Quote:
don't know...I think every age difference between siblings is the perfect age difference for homeschooling.
Ours will be ca. 4 years apart and I wouldn't have it any other way. Every family is different in terms of family dynamics, children's personalities and temperaments etc. Everybody's ideal will be different and we all make ours work.

·
Registered
15,067 Posts
I think this is just way too individual to answer... each child is different, each family uses a slightly different homeschooling system, and you never know where the two will meet (or not).
My kids are 19.5 months apart. While I only think of my older child as "homeschooling" at this point, the younger one is very interested and involved. Who knows what we'll be doing next year?
The important thing is, they're both happy. They've got a great sibling relationship, their personalities mesh well and they love each other dearly. I think that all those things are just as important in terms of homeschooling as they are in terms of, say, going to the park. I don't know how much of it has to do with their age difference, their personalities, etc; I really don't worry about that too much. The kids are happy with one another as brother and sister, and I think that will continue no matter how homeschooling goes. Sure, I'm a bit paranoid about BooBah "passing" BeanBean in terms of academics (she is much more interested and motivated than he is at this point, for some reason...
) but I think that might be a concern for me even if the age difference was greater than it is.

This new baby will be born when BooBah is about 22 months old. Truth to tell, I've been much more concerned about how the loss of my milk would affect BooBah than how homeschooling might be adversely affected by the spacing between BooBah and NewBean.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Mine are 4 years apart. I don't see any particular application in homeschooling -- there are advantages and disadvantages in any span.

I will comment, though, that if your kids are 4 years apart they will hit ages 2 and 6 at the same time, which can be a rather interesting experience due to the inner drive for more independence at these two ages.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.