Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi mamas.....I was hoping for some input here
DD11 is doing k12 virtual academy this year , dd7 will be in ps
and ds6 will be home but I dont have a clear cut picture of what we will be doing yet....last year, we didnt do much....just read books and basically let him play all day and answered his questions.....well, he learned to read last year basically with little to no assistance by me .....this year I want a little more structure....but am completly at a loss for what he "needs" to learn. (he's also partially sighted so print needs to be enlarged). I also have a ds2 who is pretty demanding (also special needs). Can you give me some ideas of what to do to help ds6 feel like he's doing "school" (that's one of his concerns) thanks mamas.....

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
how about pieces of the Well Trained Mind tossed with some Waldorf:

Explode the Code workbooks for reading skills
http://www.epsbooks.com/dynamic/cata...+&series=1460M

Singapore Math workbooks
http://www.singaporemath.com/category_s/19.htm

Kingfisher Encyclopedia of Animals for him to be read to and then he can draw a picture of the animal of the "day" and copy some sentences about that animal. You could keep this in a binder.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/075...200053?ie=UTF8

I, personally, am not big on 1st graders/6 year olds learning history. But I do think it would be beneficial to do social studies in a way that includes making a calendar and keeping up with it and also introducing him to various people in this community. Mailman, grocery clerk, firefighter etc. Not literally introducing them to him, unless you do have time for that, but more or less telling him how they make a difference in your community and what their role is.

Science activities can be taken from Donna Simmons Science book.
http://www.christopherushomeschool.o...re_stories.htm

gotta cut this short. baby needs me. dont forget to keep reading to him!

·
Registered
9,825 Posts
Right now, my 6.5 yo (1st grade age) DS is doing:

Sonlight core K
read-alouds from the library (whatever piques his interest)
ETC for phonics (he's just finishing up book 2)
Miquon for math (he's doing the orange book right now)
Spanish class and science class with homeschool co-op starts in Sept.

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mykdsmomy
Can you give me some ideas of what to do to help ds6 feel like he's doing "school" (that's one of his concerns) thanks mamas.....
You can look in the World Book "Typical Course of Study" resource to get ideas. And you can get good suggestions in Rebecca Rupp's book, Home Learning Year by Year: How to Design a Homeschool Curriculum from Preschool Through High School.
Lillian

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much everyone!! The Singapore math workbooks seem pretty cool.....I need simple because I'll have my ds2 at home as well as dd11 and dd7 will be in school so it will be a little nutty....I think the simpler we keep it this year, the better

·
Registered
634 Posts
My 1st grader is doing:
ETC and I also have Lifepac Language arts to fill i what ETC doesn't have
Saxon Math 1
Lifepac geography
Power glide junior spanish
Lifepac science--science activities are my dd's favorite

most of all play, reading, and fun activities

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a six-year old too, (and two other boys, 2 and 4). We also unschooled last year, but I think this year I'm going to try Ambleside Online. I've seen it before, but this year it really clicks with me (I also like Tanglewood, which is similar, but not as good a fit for us). So we'll read history (which I definitely like for my six-year old), and novels, keep talking about math (and I'll have the Singapore books if he wants to use them -- I'm also going to look at the Living Math website again), do some nature studies, and hang out so I can support him following his interests and see what of the rest of the Ambleside plan works for us. My plan is that schoolish activities will only be two hours or less of our day, and probably not five days a week. Oh, and I'm also going to try to make sure that he is writing his letters correctly, as well as teaching him lower case letters. He hates to be told what to do, so we'll see how that goes!

Alison
Mama to three boys

·
Registered
871 Posts
We hs half of 1st grade (last half ;-) ). We did:
--Singapore Math (1B)

--ds would practice reading to me (his choice of reader books)-- our major goal (he was not a proficient reader when he came home-- we used Reading Reflex initially)

--played a lot of math and logic games--
check out Family Math http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/091...978247?ie=UTF8. We played chess, Fowl Play (card game), Clue, yahtzee, 21 (card game), In and Out (card game), Blokus, dominoes, Math Blaster (computer game)

--ds also wanted to learn to tell time, count money, roman numerals (sometimes I printed out some worksheets from EdHelper, I believe)

--Read Story of the World

--We did a lot of Fairy Tales both Grimms and Hans Christian Anderson (I read so many that I never read before!) and also some Greek Mythology

-- Usborne Books!
ETA: I just read the part that your ds wants to feel like school. I liked the EdHelper site, it would group worksheets by grade level (kinda gives you ideas of what 1st graders are learning)

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
I have two 6yos. They read on their own and with me, they draw, they write...

We collect words. We don't practice spelling them or anything. We make lists together (they say them I write them) and they copy the ones they want to have in their book--each has a little notebook (a "Word Book") for words. This is because they are always asking me how to spell stuff. So I say what are your favorite words? What do you want to know how to spell? They are always asking me if a place is continent or a country, or a state, or a "land" so I listed the continents for them one day. ----My 11yo also makes her own word book, and I make my own for new terms I run across in my reading also.

We bought a globe. They LOVE this globe. We talk about how it moves, how gravity works, the functions of the atmosphere, and all kinds of things.... Then it's: Temperatures on Mercury, gravity of the sun, which planets are solid or gaseous, the climate of Venus, the size of Mercury, and "What was there on the first day of the earth?" They can also now find where we live, and they can read so they read the names of oceans, and try to understand the time zones...

We are buying math books. We are planning to try Singapore. I have Miquon left over from my oldest using it which I may use supplementally, so I'll just see how to mix them as we go.

We are reading "Story of the World," but honestly, the author's language use is so poor that I have to use my own words a lot instead. ACtually I kind of like that, and so far we do like the book despite this.

We plan picnics, play board games, go on walks, take care of pets, take care of the garden, and check out piles of books from the library. We do a lot of crafts. My 6yos desperately want to try knitting since dd11 is doing it--but I was so cheap I only got one pair of needles thinking they would take turns using them at different times...

Anyhow, we are relatively informal. Some of these things are "schoolish" and my kids like that even thouh we aren't trying to make it so.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.