Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to plan my DS's b-day party which is the end of January. Too cold and rain potential to have outside. We live in an apartment, so can't do it at our house. I'm going to rent a small auditorium at one of the local parks, but my question is - what activities can I have? A lot of the party entertainment companies (we're in L.A.) are SO expensive. Does anyone have any ideas that would be fun for 3 year olds?

·
Registered
147 Posts
What about renting some inflatable houses or those bumble things kids jump in? Kids this age like that. Doing something physical seems to work for a group of 3 yo, also , letting them run wild without instruction or order too seems to be key.

good luck! happy birthday!

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
do you have any type of theme?

My daughters third birthday she picked PIRATE theme. So they had colouring sheets with pirate (nice friendly ones) on them, then they made little pirate costumes, we then went on a hayride, and ate cake.

For a three old you could have colouring sheets, a simple craft.

This site has ALOT of ideas...
http://www.familyeducation.com/whatw...tml?detoured=1

·
Registered
55 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by momtoS View Post
What about a construction theme? You could use cardboard boxes etc and build stuff...
http://www.familyeducation.com/whatw...tml?detoured=1
My son had a construction theme for his birthday. We had two big tubs of feed corn for the kids to play in and set up a big "construction site". We bought a 50 pound bag of corn from a farm supply store, but this type of corn is also available as squirrel food in pet stores. We laid a huge tarp under the tubs to contain the mess as much as possible. Then, we brought out lots of shovels, buckets, and all our construction vehicles to play with in the corn. Kids love digging and playing in stuff like that.

In addition to a tactile station, you could have a building station, an art / coloring station, a station with books that relate to your theme, a cupcake decorating station, a pinata, a game station, I can come up with a million ideas!

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I'd pick a theme - it makes it easier to plan activities and games. here is a site that I use for every birthday party I do.

www.birthdaypartyideas.com

I did a Pirate Party last year at a rented pace and got all the game and food and decoration ideas from this site. This year I am doing a Knight party for my son and a princess party for my daughter and i also got all the ideas here.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
The "big" activity we did at ds's 3rd bday party was a bug hunt. Not real bugs - we were indoors in our playroom, and while they ate cake in the dining room I scattered foam bug stickers around the room, some semi-hidden, many in plain view, and one big butterfly for each kid that had his/her name on it that I made into a magnet. I gave each kid a cup with their name on it and a little toy "grabber" and let them at it, to pick up lots of bugs and to find the one that was theirs! They all had a great time, excitedly running around and grabbing up their bugs! (I subtlely supplemented any cups that didn't have much in the end...) Simple thing, but 3yo (and even the 5-6yo's at the party) loved it!

·
Registered
642 Posts
We just had K's 3rd bday party a couple of weeks ago. It was supposed to be at a local airplane themed park-but due to complications it ended up being at our house. It was 2 hours and the kidlets played with toys almost the entire time. We did make faux gingerbread houses with boxes, glue, cotton balls and candy pieces. Had lunch, cupcakes and played more. The age range was 2 mainly with a couple of 3 YO's. If you can afford a bounce house, they always seem to be a hit. But even keeping it simple works perfectly.

ETA~Does your apartment complex have a room you can rent? Will it really be that cold that you can't do it at a park? We always had the back-up plan of moving he party to our house if it was too cold or it rained. But it would have to have been really cold to move it. I figured the adults would be chilly for a couple of hours and the kidlets wouldn't have known the difference. Serve coffee and hot chocolate.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
For DDs fourth birthday we had a bread making party. We made a batch of dough before the party started and the kids had a blast shaping it and decorating with raisins. We baked it while they were here and they all took warm bread home.

We didn't do much in the way of games, we had go at musical statues and had some balloons for the kids to play with.

We also played cranium hulabaloo for a while.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I guess you all must have different 3yos from mine! She's a riot with familiar people, but fairly anti-social. We asked what she'd like to do/who to invite for her birthday, and she only wanted Grnadma and Grandpa to come (from out of state, so a big deal) and one guy from dh's work who she thinks is cool. She wanted a cake with candles and a balloon. I'm really glad that we didn't spend a lot of $ for something really elaborate or for lots of kids-- because it would have been more for us than for her, kwim? One thing I've heard that kids do really well with the number of guests per year of their age- so three kids at a 3 yo party, etc. After doing playgroups, etc. I think that a whole group of 3yos could be a bit much if your kid is leat bit sensitive to overstimulation. But, if they're used to large groups and you think they'll actually really enjoy a lot of commotion, then go to town

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
We had dd's 3rd birthday party at her Waldorf pre-school. Most of the kids were from her class, so, there was a high comfort level with the space and toys (all of which we were free to use). And the kitchen in the space made it extra easy. We hired a clown who painted faces. The kids had a blast!

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
I'm in the same boat. 3rd birthday on Jan 11.
We could go to an indoor pool, but we did that last year and I want to keep it pretty low key.

THe theme will probably be pirates but could be Robin Hood instead. Pirate seems more fun because we can have a treasure hunt and play a fishing game.

My problem is also about where and how many people. If I invite only his close friends it would be 4 kids. If I invite cousins his age too, it would be 9 kids all together. If I keep it at 4 kids (plus parents) we could have it at our place but otherwise we'd have to rent a space. I don't really want to rent a space. I looked into it and its pretty expensive and most places are completely empty so we'd have to bring soooo much stuff and set up.

So I think we'll keep it as small as possible and keep it at home.

For places to rent, check out community centres, or playgyms, they often rent out a space with play equipment included.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Two words: bubble machine

I had my son's 3rd party last summer and we had a soccer theme (which he now is no longer into) Any whoo, we had some craft tables set up, and some sports equipment like a t-ball thingies and balls. All the kids had fun but the big hit was the $15 bubble machine we picked up. Just poured some bubbles in, flicked the switch and watched the frenzied bubble popping/giggles begin.

I would also second the inflatable bouncing things... my son loves them. I would only caution that some 3 year olds aren't steady enough on their feet and can feel intimidated by them.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Having craft and other stations is probably the best idea. The place I am having the party is a smallish auditorium (no bounce houses!) as I live in a small apartment and there will be probably at least 20 kids (he is in daycare with 18 other kids and some of them have siblings), plus all the adults. It's awkward not inviting everyone because he likes them all and they all invite him to their birthdays. If it doesn't rain, then really entertainment is not necessary because it's at a park, but rain happens a lot that time of year, so I need a rain plan!
I also am a single mom so I will have to be the one "managing" the birthday boy and I can't really man the craft stations or make sure all the entertainment is taken care of. I'm thinking I really need to hire some sort of entertainer/clown, what have you... hopefully I can find something that is not too pricey

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.