Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DD started preschool two months ago and in her class, they potty train (in a very respectful and encouraging way-no humiliating or pushing, etc.).

DD has started going to the potty all day at school-she even tells the teacher when she was to go.

Home is a different story though. She is very uninterested and doesn't tell me when she has to go. I ask her several times an hour and she just says "no potty mommy" and continues to play or do whatever she's doing. Maybe once a day she'll say "yes" and we'll go sit on the potty but she doesn't do anything. She just wants to sit and read (just like daddy-LOL!). I of course don't want to pressure or push her or make it a struggle, so I'm just going along with what she wants.

Anyway, any advice for gently encouraging more potty use at home?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
835 Posts
My mom told me she saw something on TV. The mom would get balloons and little party favors, even cookies and have a POTTY PARTY of course everything would have to stay in the potty so every time you go potty you have a party. Sounds cool.

I never did it my self, she told me after I had trained my twins, but I would get them stickers or a treat everytime they went potty and sometimes I'd read them a favorite book in the potty. My twins also went through a phase that they didn't care to tell me and did in their pants(only at home, not in school), so for a few days I set the timer and every 2 hours I would just pick her up and put her on the potty whether she wanted to or not. It helped her catch on to go on her own. good luck
:

·
Registered
622 Posts
My son went through this. He was great at going on the potty at school, but not so at home. The thing that turned it around for us was "potty treats". I made a "potty bag" filled with small (cheap!) toys and small candies. Every time Owen went on the potty, he got to pick something from the bag. You don't have to do candy if you don't want to. You can pick up 10 or 20 packs of small toys (meant for parties), or multi packs of tiny playdoh's, and fill the bag with them.

Now, Owen usually forgets to pick something from the bag. Using the potty has become second nature for him (at least for peeing), so he doesnt think about the treat!

Melanie

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Does the teacher ask your DD if she has to go while she's at school? Why not just stick with the approach that's working? Just tell her that she can tell you when she needs to go & you'll help her.

·
Registered
616 Posts
We did the timer thing. DS had been using the potty for several months and so I knew he was ready, so we just set the timer for every 30 minutes at first, and then longer periods of time, and we would shout "potty time" and sing a little song on the way to the potty. We just made it fun and silly, and he liked it.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
They probably have set 'potty times' at school and it's not a situation where they ask the kids if they need to go but instead just anounce it's 'time' and they all go one after the other. I think shifting my mind from asking my dd *if* she had to go to anouncing "it's potty time" (very sing-songy - we danced and everything) worked really well. There were a few times she resisted and I did coerce a bit
: (not physically, but I did talk her into it and used a few bribes at first to get through the freak out moments.) We had a lot of pee on our furniture for the first 3 days but it got way better quickly once I switched to having potty 'times'. She quickly learned to go on her own without me asking within 2 weeks from there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts