Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I saw on a site some cute dress up skirts...any ideas how to do this? the material is the stuff from halloween and weddings...how would i get it to stay together and stay so i can do the elastic? thanks for any help on this...her b-day is in february and w/ another baby on the way i dont think i will have money to get her anything, and this would be perfect for her...also i am thinking of making some tierra's, any ideas on this is great too...thanks i know you mommas can help

· Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes,, the specialty fabric...i was thinking making large leaf shaped pieces and sewing those together, then flipping the top over and elastic...does that sound like the best way? i kina dont want to worry about raveling, i dont have a serger yet but working on that one
...tha

· Registered
23 Posts
I have made dress up skirts kind of like you describe by doing the following:

I think the fabric is called Tulle or Bridal Netting? You can cut it into shapes you want and it doesn't really unravel, or you could take ribbon or binding and sew around the edges for a more finished edge.
For the waist band I just used a wide ribbon, folded it in half and sewed it over the netting leaving the ends nice and long. Then it simply ties in the back like an apron and voila, faerie skirt.

Hope this makes sense.

· Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fig
I have made dress up skirts kind of like you describe by doing the following:

I think the fabric is called Tulle or Bridal Netting? You can cut it into shapes you want and it doesn't really unravel, or you could take ribbon or binding and sew around the edges for a more finished edge.
For the waist band I just used a wide ribbon, folded it in half and sewed it over the netting leaving the ends nice and long. Then it simply ties in the back like an apron and voila, faerie skirt.

Hope this makes sense.

thanks, great ideas for the ribbon on the seams
I can wait to see them
have a great day and thanks for your idea

· Registered
152 Posts
I just love making fairy costumes. I dress up as a fairy almost every year for halloween. One easy way to make the tops for fairy dresses is by using old undershirts and embellishing them with ribbons, small silk flowers, and bells by applying with a glue gun. You can also decorate the skirts in the same way. There are so many fun shimmery and shiny fabrics to play with. One option for doing skirts is to cut two exact pieces of fabric zigzagged at the bottom, sew them inside out and flip them the right way, then ribbon can be sewn to the seam to flatten it.
I hope some of this makes sense, so many wonderful ways to make fairy clothing.

· Registered
1,047 Posts
An easy fun tiara is to get coated wire, like 15 guage I think, and cut it large anough to make a semicircle. You can also cut 2-3 more short pieces to make a little crown shape on top. Use needlenose to bend one end of the wire back on itself to hold the beads and keep it from poking. Bead with clear, jewel like plastic beads. You can use the needle nose to add on the crown pieces on top in half-circles, also beaded. Tie ribbons through the wire loops at the end.

Magic wands are fun too. Get a small dowel (1/4") from WalMart, cut it down to a foot, paint it with paint or glitter or wrap it with ribbon (I use elmer's glue), and add a sewn, stuffed shape to the top like a star or heart. You can be more or less elaborate as you choose; wrapping it with ribbon after hot gluing a silk flower atop works well too.

DO a google search or get "Sewing For Dummies" for lots of easy fun tulle skirt ideas.

· Registered
1,093 Posts
i make my fairy skirts with square playsilks that i dye...
you could do them with large square handkerchiefs and scarves from the thrift shop also- fun and easy. just cut out a hole in the middle of the square for the waist, then fold down maybe an half inch and sew almost completely around, leaving an opening to insert elastic for the waist. i do two layers of silk, and overlap the squares a bit so the points come down alternately when it's worn, showing both layers.

· Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou
i make my fairy skirts with square playsilks that i dye...
you could do them with large square handkerchiefs and scarves from the thrift shop also- fun and easy. just cut out a hole in the middle of the square for the waist, then fold down maybe an half inch and sew almost completely around, leaving an opening to insert elastic for the waist. i do two layers of silk, and overlap the squares a bit so the points come down alternately when it's worn, showing both layers.
great idea

· Registered
2,719 Posts
If you use the netting, make it extra long, then flip under the bottom, to make a large hem. Don't sew it yet, just pin it. In the hem, put some fake flowers (just the heads, not the entire flower, or just the petals), shiney bits of ribbon, whatever. Then sew it.

Does that make sense? It looks really cool.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.