Mothering Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>12yo DS has long had a moderate interest in WWII... he read the DK Eyewitness book years ago, he bought a non-fiction book on the Olympics in Nazi Germany ("Hitler's Games") at a yard sale a couple years ago, etc.  But we've never done an actual "study" on it, I didn't want to squash his interest by doing too much, KWIM?  And in truth, the interest has waxed and waned over the years.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Well, he's hitting another burst of interest, and I think he's ready for a more in-depth, deliberate study now.  He just read "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas", just finished it today in fact, and he had lots of questions.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>We're fairly Charlotte Mason influenced, so I want to have a lot of literature-based stuff for him rather than textbooks (though some textbooks are fine for him too).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My plan thus far... Up next, have him read the Diary of Anne Frank and do the Bravewriter "Boomerang" unit on it.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Get the Moving Beyond the Page unit on WWII (age 10-12), and the corresponding literature unit of "Number the Stars" and have him work through those.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Look for film adaptations of any and all of these books, as well as history channel - style documentaries, and the "Life is Beautiful" movie.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Do the Intellego World War II Era unit study (grades 6-8) -- we already bought this one recently via a Homeschool Buyers Co-op package deal, he chose it.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>That's probably enough for him, I don't want to overwhelm him (he's Aspie and a "reluctant writer" with low executive function).  Just wondering, before I buy these other unit studies, if there's anything out there that's even better that we're really love.  Or if the MBTP unit would be really redundant if we`re already doing the Intellego unit.  I`ll have to look through the Intellego study and see what it entails...</p>

1 - 1 of 1 Posts