Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>There might be a job for me in Newport, Oregon. My grandparents live there. I've been there, and think it's gorgeous. I think that my husband and I would be okay in general living in a small town... so what's this one like? We're educated, politically liberal, are gamers, and are somewhat crunchy but not to an extreme. We have a baby and are planning on more. Are we going to find anybody to spend time with or anything to do there? I understand there are a lot of retirees; is there much in the way of a younger community?</p>

·
Registered
722 Posts
<p>I don't live right in Newport, but I'm pretty close.  I definitely wouldn't move out here unless you have a job lined up because they're hard to come by.  Newport is the biggest thing around, and it's more liberal than any of the other small towns around here, but it's definitely got a small town vibe.  There's a gaming store, so I'm guessing that means there's lots of gamers around (not surprising, because it rains so much).  There aren't a lot of resources geared towards kids, so you usually have to go to Corvallis for a lot of that kind of stuff. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>>Are we going to find anybody to spend time with or anything to do there?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Maybe.  Honestly I don't know.  It's not something I have time or inclination to pursue myself. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>>I understand there are a lot of retirees; is there much in the way of a younger community?<br>
 </p>
<p>You see kids and families around town and stuff, but being such a touristy area, it's hard to tell if any of them actually live here, or are just in town visiting the aquarium.  I think Newport has more of a population mix than the other towns, at least that's how it feels when I'm there.  Also they have a community college nursing program and a major marine science program, so I suspect that attracts some of the younger crowd.  Most of the other towns, including the one I live in, the year-round residents are mostly retired folks.  I've only lived here for about a year, so I don't really know anyone other than my co-workers.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>When I'm not working, I do things with my 2-year-old like go the aquarium, the beach, the library, and the farmer's markets and other free outdoor stuff mostly in the summer.  I drive over to Corvallis if I need to do any shopping beyond what can be accomplished at Fred Meyer.  Finding indoor stuff to do in the winter can be a challenge.  Things are very expensive out here, so that can be problem for me at times.  Even with the population mainly being over 60, I still find it's fairly family-friendly because so much of the economy is based on tourism.  The biggest problems I've had are finding medical care--that can be a real pain because demand vastly exceeds supply.  My other gripe is the prices/quality of food can be pretty bad sometimes.         </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I like it here because it's incredibly beautiful, quiet, peaceful, and there's so much stuff to do outdoors.  It's a great place to live if you like the ocean.     </p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts