Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it possible to get an iep for a homeschooler?

i have an almost 13 year old who i want to start homeschooling b/c he keeps getting into difficulties at school that are being handled as a discipline problem. if he gets suspended again he will have to have a hearing to determine, it sounds like, if he needs to be in some kind of behavioral based school for "juvenile deliquents" who have been expelled from the regular system...

until last year he had a one on one aide and an iep for emotional disturbance but the school said he didn't need these services anymore (and he didn't appear to). i signed off to release him from the iep. that was a bad idea!

he was adopted at 5 and has a serious, serious trauma hx that impacts his ability to make good decisions at times...

if i file to homeschool until next fall to try to stabilize him, can we still initiate an iep to try to get services in place for him to get extra support when he does go back to school? or does he actually need to be in public school to initiate these services?

please forgive me for knowing nothing about these things. the school principal is very tight lipped about how we might access the level of services he needs, as well as how to initiate the iep recertification process in general, and keeps minimizing his needs even at the same time as she raises the possibility of expulsion as a route towards resolving the issues he is having...

anybody have any knowledge about this?

· Registered
1,897 Posts
The long and short of it is....sometimes. Depending on the state you live in, the laws vary about how the individual school district has to comply with the IEP. The federal law states that all children ages 3-21 are entitled to services, but where how flexible they are with this is up to the state and school districts. Often, I have heard of homeschoolers who are brought to a school just for speech, physical and occupational therapy, but do not receive education services. What kind of direct services were given to him with his diagnosis? How often did he receive those services? What kind of services would you like to receive for him? Is there a teacher who would be willing to advocate for you and your son to receive services once he is homeschooled? Best of luck with everything. My brother that we adopted is being served under the EBD label as well as LD. It can be really challenging, but having support no matter which environment he is in, makes all the difference in the world.

· Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, he used to have a 1:1 for safety reasons, in that he was exhibiting sexually reactive behaviors to the little girls at his school. he also saw a school counselor 1x weekly to do behavioral mod stuff just related to school goals (he does separate therapy outside of school).

the iep insured those things.

adolescence has brought on a resurgence of the sexually innapropriate behavior, but this time it is verbal harrassment he is engaging in instead of the exposure thing he did when younger.

the issue is that with line of sight supervision these behaviors evaporate--so with 2 full years of 1:1 assistance, there were no subsequent behaviors. so they couldn't justify keeping the plan. but without the supervision, this stuff is happening again. so, i guess that is what i am hoping for. some kind of ramped up supervision.

thanks for the fyi about initiating an iep through a letter--they did not tell us that. i will have to start googling and try to figure out what to write...

· Premium Member
4,820 Posts
What state are you in? It would help in advising you on whether or not it's even worth doing. If the state doesn't provide services to homeschooled kids, there's not really a point in your initiating the IEP process.

However, I would find an advocate group to fight to have the IEP reinstated and have him sent to an appropriate school (if you're not gung-ho on hsing and just doing it for lack of options). He still HAS qualification for an ED classification. And he can't be expelled for behaviors related to an IEP problem (although THEY can opt to put him on home instruction--I used to do this).

· Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i haven't officially declared him a homeschooler--yet--but my intention is to homeschool him for the remainder of the year while we are in the process of getting an iep on board--to avoid having him expelled or transferred.

my concern on the transfer would be that while it would be an appropriate way to handle the safety concern (this is a huge concern for me, too) it would expose my extremely suggestible lo to a whole range of peer behaviors that he really doesn't need to be thinking are baseline ways to be social. the influence would be devastating.

ho hum.

· Registered
3,663 Posts
I think this sounds like a real handful for one homeschooling mom to handle, in terms of providing adequate supervision and treatment, and that the school is not meeting its responsibility to your son. I think your best bet in this situation would be to seek an advocacy organization and get educated on your rights. You may be able to find an attorney who will provide services pro bono or for reduced costs, even if just acting as a consultant.

You may be able to contact one advocacy organization to get leads about how to pursue matters in your own state.

I'm so sorry that the school is dropping the ball and expecting you to pick up the pieces. That would be so hard. They are probably tightlipped about your rights because it will cost the school district money.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.