Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm guessing this is a silly question but I will ask anyway. If you are allergic or avoiding shellfish, do you eat fresh water fish?

I ask because we have been told not to feed any to Ds#2 because of the seriousness of his peanut, walnut and egg allergies. We are to wait until he is 5 to try it out. Since finding out about his food allergies we have had no fish, what-so-ever in the house. Dh asked the other day if we could get some salmon or something and I could not remember were I heard all fish was off-limits.

Thanks for any info.

Take care
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,717 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sarakay2
I'm guessing this is a silly question but I will ask anyway. If you are allergic or avoiding shellfish, do you eat fresh water fish?

I ask because we have been told not to feed any to Ds#2 because of the seriousness of his peanut, walnut and egg allergies. We are to wait until he is 5 to try it out. Since finding out about his food allergies we have had no fish, what-so-ever in the house. Dh asked the other day if we could get some salmon or something and I could not remember were I heard all fish was off-limits.

Thanks for any info.

Take care
My husband is allergic to shellfish, and we avoid any and all things that swim in the water, fresh or salt, because fresh water still has crustacians as well. He can only safely eat tuna.

As for what fish are off limits: DH CAN eat salmon (Cant stand the stuff though) Tuna, pretty much any fish that is a predator on another. He CANT eat prey fish, Haddock, Pollock, in a sense anything that's a bottom dweller and crustacian eater.

If I were you I'd just be safer than sorry and dont bring in ANY water dwelling foods except the good ol seaweed


BTW, Salmon is a salt water fish when it's caught. It's not allowed to be caught when it starts to turn red and go upriver to spawn..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,301 Posts
My baby w/ the allergies in my sig is 10 mos old, so I'm avoiding all of the foods he's allergic to. His allergist told me it was fine to eat tuna, salmon, and other "colored" fish (I guess rainbow trout would be ok w/ its pink flesh, etc.) but to stay away from white fish. He said the reasoning for this was that the whitefish are much more allergenic and I should avoid them for that reason. He didn't seem to think cross contamination was a problem for the shellfish allergic to eat fish.

Dunno. My allergist wants us to wait till 2 for some things and till 4 or 5 for others and I can't remember whichj was which (and it's all moot now anyway, since he was telling me all this before the tests came back + so taht changes everything.) Maybe give them a call and ask if they can clarify?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,113 Posts
My DD is allergic to eggs so we avoid seafood and white fish.
We do eat salmon, mackerel, and other dark colored fleshy fish. We live in Japan so the variety of fish are different here. (it was a learning curve for me trying to learn how to cook all of these new things). Scallops are considered to be the most allergenic of all seafood, FWIW.
Kathryn
p.s. I think the dark flesh fish is good, lots of Omega 3s. but generally much more *fishy* tasting, stronger taste than something like cod/whitefish
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
656 Posts
I get an anaphylactic reaction to shellfish but can eat all other fish - I eat cod, mackeral, tuna, anything without a "shell." A medical friend (NOT a doctor) told me in the past that it was the iodine from shellfish that caused the reaction - I checked with my doctor at that point and he said that I should also avoid all of the "old forms" of iodine, which means not synthetic from what I understand. At any rate, I always mention both shellfish and iodine when asked about allergies because iodine is in contrast dye (almost had a contrast CT after the birth of my younger son until I mentioned that allergy to the doc - they hadn't double checked my chart) as well as obviously a common disinfectant used by medical personnel. I would definitely try to clarify with your doctor. My reaction came on gradually over a number of years - I would get a funny tingly sensation in my mouth when eating lobster or clams when younger, then in high school had a bad reaction to scallops - my doctor told my mom at that point that another exposure would likely be deadly. I have not given my kids any shellfish yet (5 and 19 months) but it's as much because I'm afraid of even handling it as anything! I have given them haddock, pollock, tuna, sardines, and cod with no trouble, except they don't care for the tuna. Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies. We desided to not give Ds#2 any until I talk to his allergist in Oct. Since it was Ds#1 and Dh asking I got them some fish-sticks to share. About ten minutes after Ds#1 ate about 4 he started sneezing, a lot. His eyes started to water and turn red and he said his neck was "zapping"
Not a good sign. He has eaten these in the past so I'm not sure if it was the fish or something in the air. I'm not going to chance it though.

Back to our simple diet.

Thanks everyone.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top