Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have an almost 15 month old DD. When I am with her (I work 4 days/week) she nurses first thing in the AM, for both her naps, bedtime and then 1-4 times at night. When she is at daycare she takes a large bottle of breast milk before each nap. So...I am still pumping but I am noticing that I am not pumping the same volume that she is taking while at daycare. I have always had a HUGE supply and have actually donated milk to three different Mamas so this is a strange situation to be in. I am really torn...I want to stop pumping because it is tedious and I have been doing it for 14 months! But I don't want it to affect our breastfeeding relationship. I don't want her to drop any more feedings if she isn't ready. So, do I continue to pump twice a day while at work and if I run low just have them maybe mix a little alternative (hemp milk, goat milk etc) in with the breastmilk? Or do I stop pumping and just be ok with her have something else at daycare? Or do I ask daycare to give her a smaller bottle? I am confused because she obviously doesn't get that much (6-8 ounces) from me when I nurse her for her naps, so is she just taking that much because it is a bottle?? What are other mama's experiences with this?

·
Registered
425 Posts
I work 5 days a week and on those days dd nursed in the morning before/ after breakfast, sometimes right before drop off in the car, at lunch time (until she was 14 mo old) then as soon as we got home, nursed to sleep and then through out the night as needed/ wanted (pretty much whenever she wanted while we were together). The weekends were open to nurse when ever she wanted.<br><br>
at 16 months I stopped pumping, she continued to get milk 3 sippies a day ~ 6 oz but she started refusing the mornign one and just took more at lunch, we worked through the stash and then I switched to hemp milk (we were having an Iron issue) I struggled with the desicion just as you are, but I was pumping so very little and I was tired of all the work for so little gain.<br><br>
DD continued nursing as normal at home etc and has slowly dropped various nursing.<br><br>
We just celebrated DD 3rd birthday and she still nurses to sleep, is welcome into our bed to nurse during the night or first thing in the morning, and there are occasions we nurse after we get home from work/ school. So I would say she is still in control of the weaning.<br><br>
you could try smaller bottles at first while you decide and see how she does, it took me a couple weeks to decide.<br>
I think as long as it's still available at home and with you she will continue to nurse.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I am surprised your day care agrees to continue bottle feeding beyond 1 year- the centers I've worked at would not give bottles beyond 12 months without a doctor's note.<br>
I personally would try very hard to continue giving breastmilk- either nursing or pumping- at least until the 2nd birthday as recommended by the WHO.

·
Registered
425 Posts
averlee - I don't think it's the op's intention to stop giving breast milk, hence she is here asking how others have managed this while working and pumping.<br>
It's not an easy place to be in, it is a tedious task and frustrating to see the amount you produce by pump getting lower.<br><br>
ava's mom - Is your dd eating any solids yet? My dd was taking 1 meal at 12 mo, so she had her solids meal at daycare. If you do decide to stop pumping I suggest dropping 1 session at a time. I had 2 pumping sessions a day and in the afternoon I was barely getting an oz, much less than the morning pumping so I dropped that one first. Then I think I spaced it out about a month befor dropping the morning one. DD and I may have increased the amount we were nursing at home and directly after work after I stopped pumping. I just made sure I was still offering nursing when DD was that age, heck even at three I've been known to offer when I know she needs to get calmed down or needs some extra comfort.<br><br>
Remember you and your DD have 14 months of nursing under your belt, you're probably pretty in sync with each other by now. You have done a really great job pumping and working for so long.<br><br>
I definitely noticed my pumping supply drop as DD got older, I always wondered if this was the body getting trained to the baby's nursing pattern. I was always able to hand express at the drop of a hat (heck in the beginning I leaked at the drop of a hat) and then I could only hand express when feeling full, now I couldn't hand express to save my life and I wonder if pumping would produce much - but I am still producing milk, DD is quick to show me every time she nurses.<br><br>
I think if you are still nursing as often as usual or more at home or together, and you are still offering she will continue to nurse until you both are ready to stop.<br><br>
Sorry for the long posts judt full of thoughts and opinions today.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, She does eat lots of solids. She has three meals a day and often has snacks as well.<br><br>
Yesterday when I picked her up they said that she didn't have much milk. That made me feel a little better about it. I just don't want to stop pumping if she is still taking alot of mama's milk at day care.<br><br>
I tried for a while to keep offering at the feedings that she has dropped (one right before daycare, one midday and one before dinner) but she has no interest and she would play around just long enough for my letdown to fill me up and make me uncomfortable! I definitely offer at night and before naps and bedtime and of course if she has hurt herself.<br><br>
The daycare she goes to is a small in-home place so it is very flexible (they do cloth diapers etc) so there have been no questions about a bottle. She has a sippy cup of water with meals etc and throughout the day.<br><br>
I guess I will just see if she continues to decrease the amount she gets in bottles and adjust my pumping to that.<br><br>
I know this is just part of the process of her weaning...she has decreased the amount she wants, therefore my supply is decreasing. I never thought I would feel so sad about it. There is part of me that is really excited to potentially not pump in the near future. But then there is another side that sees my little girl not needing me (in that way) like she used to! I am certainly going to nurse her as long as she wants to...I just don't want the dropping of pumping to rush her into weaning. Thanks for your support and for telling me your experience!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts